O
X
POP-OUT CBOX
DISCORD

New Poll

What's the Time?, Vance/Grant
Frostbone
 Posted: Mar 9 2018, 02:50 AM

The guy that does the stuff and the things.

GROUP: Indigo Leaf

Awards: 9

Rep: 3 pts

Spring 19, Year 03
4:30p.m.
Mood:
Helpful
Tag! Pocomoke

user posted image

Tick. Tock.

Well, that certainly took a little longer than Vance thought it would. Today's job had wound up bringing him to Westhaven to fix an old grandfather clock at the University's library. A homecoming of sorts as he had spent a portion of his childhood there growing up. At one point, the University could have very well been in the cards for the man. He'd even gone on a tour or two with his parents. However, the birth of his daughter and his parents'....less than positive reaction to it kind of pumped the breaks on that whole endeavor. Thinking of his mom and dad didn't really too too many favors for the repairman, who looked up at the clock, managing to catch the reflection of his slightly frowning face in the reflection of the glass.

Tick. Tock.

Ah, no need to think about them. It had been well over a decade since he had heard from them, and really, that was fine. It was best to think on the positives. The man had a happy, healthy, and beautiful teenage daughter, plenty of work lined up to ensure that they stayed fed and clothed, and definitely the most stable housing situation that he had experienced since being ejected from the nest, so to speak. And really, he thought he did rather well with his work. Well enough to where word of mouth would hopefully get around to keep things rolling.

Tick. Tock.

Well now, it certainly seemed the the clock agreed with the quality of his work. According to the librarian, the old thing had stopped working about a week or so earlier. Vance was kind of surprised to get a call for work from Westhaven so early, but chalked it up to his uncle probably throwing his name out as he passed through the town on his travels. However it happened didn't really matter to Vance, as he was just thrilled to start building his reputation. Speaking of which, about the only thing left to do was to report his success.

After taking a couple of minutes to pack up his toolbox and look over the area to make sure that he hadn't left a mess of anything, Vance adjusted his collar and calmly made his way over to the librarian's desk. As he walked to the desk, he couldn't help but notice that there currently was nobody sitting there. Probably putting books back or something of the like. Vance doubted that he was too far away, given the fact that there were still students coming in and out at a fairly consistent trickle, no doubt poring over research for final exams and the like. Not really wanting to be rude, Vance cleared his throat and raised his voice ever so slightly. Hopefully not enough to distract anyone.

“Um...Mister Burr? I got that grandfather clock up and running again.”
PMEmailYIM
^
Pocomoke
 Posted: Mar 11 2018, 01:30 PM

"Reality is an illusion. The universe is a hologram. Buy go

GROUP: Green Leaf

Awards: 21

Rep: 8 pts

Grant Burr Spring 19th Year 3
Outfit TBD

Grant had finally been able to find a repair man for their grandfather clock. He had noticed that it had stopped working a couple days prior, and had spent a large portion of his free time trying to find someone to fix it. There were a few mechanics that he knew, but none of them worked on clocks.

It wasn't until yesterday when someone had mentioned the name Vance Crofton. He had mentioned to Grant that it was his nephew who was starting out his business. Grant didn't mind helping out a small business, especially since it seemed to be the only person that could get the job done.

The repair man showed up the next day and got the job done. Grant tried not to hang around him too much and make him uncomfortable, but he wanted to make sure the job was getting done. He really cared about that clock.

Luckily it didn't take long for the man to finish up his work and make his way over to where Grant was.

“Um...Mister Burr? I got that grandfather clock up and running again.”

"Oh, thank you so much, Mister Crofton. I've been trying to get someone out here for a week to fix it. No one else in this place wanted to toss it, but it's too beautiful to discard." Grant commented, giving a side eye to the old lady who was also at the desk. She had been the one who had wanted to toss the clock.

"That one is a Borholm clock, made in 1752, brought over only a few years before the revolution. Yet it's been able to stay in decent condition til this day." he explained, looking over in the direction of the clock. Grant had read up on it a few weeks after he had first started working at the library. Such a beauty...

"Oh, sorry. My daughter always tells me that I'm rambling on about things that no one cares about. I guess she's right. How much do I owe you for the repair?" he asked, pulling out the funds box for the library from under the counter. Usually they kept it locked away, but he had pulled it out earlier knowing he was going to need to pay the man at some point.

Frostbone
PMEmailWebsite
^
Frostbone
 Posted: Mar 18 2018, 02:05 AM

Spring 19, Year 03
Morning
Mood:
Helpful with a dash of intrigued
Tag! Pocomoke

user posted image

”Oh, thank you so much, Mister Crofton. I've been trying to get someone out here for a week to fix it.”

Vance smiled as the man talked, chucking both at the side eye he had given to the gal that had the gall to want to toss it away, and also at the librarian's knowledge of the clock's origins. Honestly, while it wasn't much of a surprise for a librarian to be educated, Vance couldn't help but be impressed about what he knew about it. Clearly the man had done his homework on it.

”Oh, sorry. My daughter always tells me that I'm rambling on about things that no one cares about. I guess she's right. How much do I owe you for the repair?”

“Mister Burr, please.” Vance replied with that smile still on his face. “You are free to ramble as much as you want. And if it makes you feel any better, I don't view it as rambling at all. Rather someone that has taken an interest in a rather nice timepiece. Believe me, things like this, I can talk about all day. Restorations for me started off as a curiosity. And eventually a passion that conveniently enough allows me to make a living. As for my fee, I've got my invoice right here.”

Sliding the paper onto the desk, Vance watched on as the librarian opened the box. In all honesty, if he hadn't needed the money, Vance would have done it for next to nothing or probably flat out for free. Clocks with all the internal mechanisms could be tricky to work on, but at the same time, Vance did enjoy the challenge as well as the privilege to work on something that modern times were slowly but surely phasing out. That being said though, Vance did go a little cheaper than his usual rate, both as a way to foster goodwill with a new customer and also because it was an educational facility.

“So then, if you don't mind me prying...” Vance began. “...but I can't help but notice the word 'daughter.' Got one myself a sixteen year old one back in Ioana. How old is yours?”
PMEmailYIM
^
Pocomoke
 Posted: Mar 18 2018, 09:03 PM

“Mister Burr, please. You are free to ramble as much as you want. And if it makes you feel any better, I don't view it as rambling at all. Rather someone that has taken an interest in a rather nice timepiece. Believe me, things like this, I can talk about all day. Restorations for me started off as a curiosity. And eventually a passion that conveniently enough allows me to make a living. As for my fee, I've got my invoice right here.”

"Well it's nice that someone understands the value of a good clock." Grant took the paper as it was slid to him, quickly gathering the money for the man. It wasn't a bad price for the repair, so he was thankful for that. If it cost too much Grant would be hearing about it for weeks.

“So then, if you don't mind me prying... ...but I can't help but notice the word 'daughter.' Got one myself a sixteen year old one back in Ioana. How old is yours?”

"Oh, Gabriella? She's only eleven, luckily. I am not looking forward to the teen years." Grant explained to the man, handing over the money to him. "Right now she is still in the 'I love daddy even though he's embarrassing." years. Thankfully." he continued on. He had heard horror stories about those teen years, and he was not excited. Teens could be cruel, especially at that age. Not to mention teenage boys... Ugh.

"Have any advice on how to make those teen years as bearable as possible?" Grant asked. All of his friends, and by friends he meant acquaintances, all had babies or tots, so he would be the first to go through the struggle with his daughter.

Frostbone
PMEmailWebsite
^
Frostbone
 Posted: Mar 25 2018, 03:32 AM

Spring 19, Year 03
Morning
Mood:
Tag! Pocomoke

user posted image

”Oh, Gabriella? She's only eleven, luckily. I am not looking forward to the teen years.”

Vance couldn't help but crack a small smile and chuckle at Grant's outlook on the future. Raising a teenage daughter...well, there were times when it was flat out terrifying, especially in Vance's case, having to go on about it lone ranger style. Although to be fair, things didn't go too terribly with Eden. Not as bad as some of the tales that he had heard from other parents throughout the years. Honestly, for the most part, Eden managed to stay in the same phase that the librarian had described his own daughter with. Kind of dodged a bullet there, really.

”Have any advice on how to make those teen years as bearable as possible?”

“Ah now, there's a fun question.” Vance replied, still chuckling. “I've lucked out with Eden, mostly. There's those times when she can be moody and upset, but I think a lot of that has happened due to us having to move around a bit in the last few years. Your daughter gets older, naturally she's going to become a little rebellious as she comes into her own. The best thing I can suggest there is to be firm but fair. Don't know the extent of it that you'll see, but she'll push your buttons and see how far she can go. Most teens seem to do that...”

Granted, Vance didn't do that himself as his parents would have shot that down in a heartbeat, but he figured that he didn't need to bore Grant with the details of his upbringing. Clearing his throat, he continued on.

“If you have a strong relationship with Gabriella though, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Eden and I have always been rather close knit. To be fair, a bit of that has been due to being a single parent for the last twelve or so years. But yeah, if you two have a good bond, I wouldn't worry about it too terribly much. Random acts of kindness and love also help too. Wound up getting a nice dress for Eden shortly after we moved to Ioana just for the heck of it and it's amazing how happy it made her.”
PMEmailYIM
^
Pocomoke
 Posted: Mar 28 2018, 07:31 PM

“Ah now, there's a fun question. I've lucked out with Eden, mostly. There's those times when she can be moody and upset, but I think a lot of that has happened due to us having to move around a bit in the last few years. Your daughter gets older, naturally she's going to become a little rebellious...” Vance explained. For a moment Grant was worried, at least until he continued to explain.

Grant did like to think that he had a good relationship with his daughter, but that was only because he only say her for a few weeks out of the year. What if as she got older she wasn't as excited to come out to visit him? What if those weeks that made him so happy instead just made him frustrated?

What if she just stopped visiting?

"I like to think that Gabriella and I have a close relationship, but she does live with her most most of the year. I only really get to see her over Winter and Summer break, so we probably aren't as close as I think. We enjoy our time together, and she rarely gives me trouble now, so at least there's that."
Grant began to explain to the man with a sigh. Now just thinking about it made him sad. At least he still had his baby girl for now... Right?

"But enough about my worries of raising a future teen, you said you live in Ioana?" Grant asked Vance. "From what I was told their school shut down some time ago? Is Eden home schooled or does she travel out here every day? That would be a long ride just for school." he commented. He didn't even like doing that ride on the small occasions where he had to go out to the valley just to drop some things off. Seems like a waste of time.

Frostbone
PMEmailWebsite
^
Frostbone
 Posted: Mar 29 2018, 08:13 PM

Spring 19, Year 03
Morning
Mood:
Tag! Pocomoke
Words: 580

user posted image

Vance nodded his head as he listened to Grant explain his situation with his daughter. And like him, the librarian wasn't with his daughter's mother anymore. It was not exactly the kind of kinship that Vance would normally look for, but him and Grant did have another thing in common, albeit an unpleasant one.

“I can kind of understand your situation.” Vance offered up after thinking on it. “As I said, it's just been Eden and myself. Her mother hasn't been part of the picture for about twelve years though. I try reaching out every now and again, but never hear anything back. In that regard, I am happy that Gabriella gets to see her mom. Although I can understand how it can be hard on you. I haven't had to be separated from Eden for a long period of time, but I can't imagine it would be too nice.”

Clearing his throat, Vance continued.

“My advice to you would remain the same though. The time you have with each other, show her that you love her. I'm not saying try to buy her love or anything, mind you, but find things that you both like and do those, be firm but fair, and of course something I'm sure you do as a father already, love unconditionally.”

Having hoped that there was something helpful in his words to the man, Vance listened on as he changed the subject up a bit. Namely, the topic of Eden's schooling. Which to be fair, was a good question. As Grant had noted, at the moment, Ioana's school had been shut down, although he had heard rumblings about that possibly changing in the near future. Which would be good, both for the children and for the village as a whole.

“Well right now, Eden is home schooled.” Vance acknowledged. “Which, actually, is a bit of a first for us. Everywhere that we have lived in the past has had a school. Word has it that the village is looking into changing that, but well...I'm sure that since you've heard things about the school, you've also heard about the state of Ioana as a whole. On a bright note though, I have to say that I have never seen such a determined group of people. It's a small population over there, but it's definitely a spirited lot...”

Chucking, Vance couldn't help but shake his head.

“Sorry about that. Kind of got a little off track. Back to education though...well, I hope it doesn't come off as overstepping any bounds, but I do have a favor to ask you. Our library in the village had a...um....misfortune lately as you may have heard. As such, there's a little bit of cleanup going on at the moment. I understand that I'm not a student here, but given the circumstances...”

Vance paused again, reaching into his pocket to pull out a small piece of paper which he set down on the desk in front of Grant.

“...I was hoping that it might be possible for me to borrow a couple of books for Eden. I know it's an odd request, but in all honesty, I don't even know if our library in town would have these particular books. If you don't want to loan them out, I'd understand, although if it would make you feel any better, I definitely don't have any problems putting down a safety deposit or something if you would like.”
PMEmailYIM
^
Pocomoke
 Posted: Apr 2 2018, 09:12 PM

Vance explained his daughter's current schooling situations, getting sidetracked for a moment to talk about the valley's spirit itself. Grant had only been in the valley a handful of times for festivals and such, but he could sense the spirit they had.

Too bad big city corporations were tying to run them out.

Then Vance had a favor to ask. Grant was a bit nervous. He didn't know the man all that well besides the fact that he had a daughter. What could he possibly have to ask him?

“...I was hoping that it might be possible for me to borrow a couple of books for Eden. I know it's an odd request, but in all honesty, I don't even know if our library in town would have these particular books.”

Wait, that was it? He wanted to borrow some books? Grant had heard about the tragedy that struck the valley not too long ago. It was sad that such a beautiful collection of books had been burned down by someone.

Guess the city wasn't getting the books back they loaned to the valley library.

"It shouldn't be a problem, you would just have to set up an account with us..." Grant said, reaching down under the counter to grab one of the registration forms they kept there.

"We just need them for everyone who checks out books who don't go to the university." he explained. He grabbed the list of books Vance had set down, giving it a good look over. The library would most likely have all of these books, but Grant would have to be sure.

"I'll go see if we have these while you fill that out." he said before walking off to one of the isles.

Frostbone
PMEmailWebsite
^
Frostbone
 Posted: Apr 15 2018, 02:27 AM

Spring 19, Year 03
Morning
Mood:
Tag! Pocomoke
Words: 341

user posted image

Vance couldn't help but pick up on the aura of nervousness that Grant exuded as he brought up the idea of a favor. Which to be fair, the craftsman couldn't really fault him for that. After all, their personal interacting had consisted of him fixing a grandfather clock and Grant paying him for it. Although in Vance's mind, his question was hopefully harmless enough.

Mentally breathing a sigh of relief, Vance was proven right as Grant put his mind to ease, reaching under his counter to pull out what looked like a registration form. Only fair, Vance figured. Given the fact that he was an out of towner, he was kind of surprised that the librarian had agreed. Pleasantly surprised, of course. While there wasn't too much left in the school year, Eden did still have a few more tests that he would have to send in. Tests that she'd definitely need to study for. With books that didn't tell a person how to apply lacquer to a particular kind of wood like the ones Vance had in his workshop.

”I'll go see if we have these while you fill that out.”

Nodding his head, Vance went to work on the form, not having too many issues with it. In all honesty, it was kind of a nice change of pace to fill out paperwork that didn't relate to his job. Not that he particularly minded, but with all the permits and variances and customer orders he'd done in the last half season to get the business up off the ground, it was still nice to have something that didn't relate to all that.

“Thank you very much, Mister Burr.” Vance replied in the man's direction as he put the pen down after completing the form. “And though she's not here, I know Eden would thank you too. With this most recent move, I wasn't sure if we'd get her schooling done before summer, but with these books, I'm pretty sure she won't have to have her vacation cut into.”
PMEmailYIM
^
Pocomoke
 Posted: Apr 21 2018, 08:18 PM

It didn't take long for Grant to find a retrieve the books that Vance had asked for. Most of them were in the same section, except for maybe one or two. The other ones weren't that far either, so it wasn't long before the man returned back to the front desk, placing the stack of books on it.

“And though she's not here, I know Eden would thank you too. With this most recent move, I wasn't sure if we'd get her schooling done before summer, but with these books, I'm pretty sure she won't have to have her vacation cut into.”

"Well we can't have that now can we?" the librarian said as he began the check out process. He wished there was an easier way to check out books, but for now he had to write out the list.

"Now all I need you to do is sign this last form, and Eden will be able to get her school work done in time for Summer break." Grant said, handing him the form. "Maybe we will have to meet up once it is Summer. I'll have Gabriella during then."

Frostbone
PMEmailWebsite
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
New Poll

Our Affiliates
Skin coded by Ethereal for exclusive use on Summers Past
We are a Harvest Moon RP not affiliated with Harvest Moon, Story of Seasons, or Bokujō Monogatari - these series belong to their respective owners.