Tanuki
 Posted: Jul 14 2016, 06:06 PM

Sneaky Trash Panda at your service

GROUP: Moderator

Awards: 36

Rep: 25 pts

user posted image HAYDEN GREENE
user posted image
The woods always cleared her head when she was experiencing writer’s block, not to mention that Rusty loved rolling around in the fresh grass and bounding through the flowers, even though Hayden would at least try to stop her from trampling over everything. Thankfully, the dog always seemed to prefer the grass. Hayden sat against the tree with her journal, combing through the lyrics she had written down earlier that afternoon. It wasn’t very good, that much she could tell just by trying to even start to put them together in functioning form in her head. They didn’t work together, and she needed to fix that.

“Goddess, who let me write this cheese?” She asked herself once she crossed out yet another line of song. She sighed softly and took a brief moment to glance up, and though Rusty seemed to be busy on the bank of the lake, she didn’t seem to be getting herself into trouble. So Hayden returned to the page, crossing out and adding words at her own pace. Rusty meanwhile, was in hot pursuit of a small brown frog. The second she had stuck her nose too close, it had hopped away, and she continued following it, curious as to what it was.

And by the time Hayden had looked up again, she was gone. She looked around, biting her lower lip before calling the dog’s name. “Rusty?” She snapped the book shut and stood up, looking around for any sign of the dog, her fur, tail, but she found nothing. “Come on Rusty, You know you’ve got dinner waiting at home!” But something wasn’t right here, and Hayden didn’t like it. “That dog never misses the word dinner.” She muttered, before calling Rusty’s name once again.

And it turned out the dog had followed that frog a little too far, and by the time the pooch had lost track of it, it she had gotten far enough from where they were sitting. Eventually, she did hear Hayden’s voice, but something stopped her from hopping off to meet her. A girl, out in the woods on the path. Someone new! And of course this meant that she had to go investigate, say hello. And so the dog trotted up to the path, stopping just sort of the girl as if she suddenly sensed some sort of tension, but she remained where she was, tongue lolled to one side and tail wagging a mile a minute.

Tag:Sari (flan) Notes:I promise it's not a wolf.Outfit: Here Speech:#58A38E
user posted image
PM
^
flan
 Posted: Jul 14 2016, 08:39 PM

come at me scrublord i'm ripped

GROUP: Pink Leaf

Awards: 5

Rep: 9 pts

Sari took a deep breath of the fresh spring air and sighed happily. Tea with Odette was always so nice, time just seemed to fly right by. The sun was already getting low in the sky, but rather than heading straight back to the inn, Sari decided to take the long way back and walk through the woods by the lake. While the flower fields were certainly enchanting, and a wonderful place to study and find all the flowers that grew in the valley, the forest had it's own appeal too. She really needed to concentrate on exploring through here a bit more, she really didn't give it as much time as she did the flowers. Just because the plants in the forest weren't as pretty, didn't mean they were any less important. Sari sighed at her own chastising thoughts, before some rustling nearby caught her attention. Curiously, she wandered closer to it, her mind ticking through the different wild animals that lived in the area. It could be a raccoon or a possum, or any number of nocturnal animal coming out to hunt at night, and-

Oh,

Oh no.

That was a dog.

A big dog. A big, terrifying dog. Sari froze when she caught sight of it, her brain short circuiting as she tried to remember everything she had read about what to do when encountering a wild dog. It was wild, wasn't it? Did it have a collar? Did it look hungry? It looked hungry. Definitely looked hungry. The more rational part of her brain tried to reason that the dog was not going to attack her in hopes of eating her flesh ('look, see, it's tail is wagging, that means it's friendly'), but the much louder, less rational part of Sari's brain was on autopilot and it was panicking ('OH GOD IT'S GOING TO KILL ME'). "Um, good boy?" She tried, her hands up in front of her in what she hoped was a peaceful gesture in dog language.

Tanuki
PMWebsite
^
Tanuki
 Posted: Jul 15 2016, 12:01 PM

user posted image
Hayden never did like keeping her dog on a leash. As a member of her family, it wasn’t something that Rusty deserved. She was a dog, sure, but she was a dog that wouldn’t even hurt the smallest fly if given the choice. She wasn’t violent, never had a history of biting anyone or even snarling. Rusty was just a giant ball of mush when it came right down to it. She didn’t make the best guard dog, but that didn’t matter around here. Hayden believed if it wasn’t right to put a leash on your child, the same thing applied to her dog.

Unfortunately it was Rusty’s own attention span that was the problem. Even a butterfly could lure the dog away, and it was something she would worry about if they ever had to visit the city. But with that place still making her stomach flip, that was still a long way off. “Rusty!” She called again, the dog couldn’t have gotten too far. And as it turned out, she didn’t, as Hayden spotted her up ahead, from behind she could see her tail was wagging a mile a minute, and the dog moved to step closer to whatever it was that was making her so excited.

And she could see what it was the dog was after. A woman up on the path they had trailed away from, and for a moment, Hayden didn’t do anything. That was until she noticed the woman’s tense body language. She seemed to fear the dog that was coming towards her, and though Hayden knew that the dog wouldn’t do anything to her, she didn’t know that. And so she whistled, very clearly, and the dog raised her head , turning with her tail wagging even faster (if that was possible) as she turned and trotted back to Hayden, bounding excitedly around her as if she had found the best thing in the world for her best friend to see. But the woman looked tense, scared. “You alright? Sorry she tends to come out of nowhere. Kinda’ like taxes. She wouldn’t hurt you though, she’d play with her own shadow if she could.” The worst part was, she often tried.

user posted image
PM
^
flan
 Posted: Jul 15 2016, 01:16 PM

Okay, let’s calm down. The dog hadn’t attacked her yet, it wasn’t coming any closer, they were good. This was fine. Sari didn’t want to move, though, in case the dog decided to take that as a signal to come closer. She regretted not reading more about dogs and how to deal with them and what she should do when a particularly huge dog decided to corner her.

But then the sweet sound of a whistle broke through the quiet of the forest, and the dog ran away from her, back to who Sari could only assume was the dog’s owner. She sighed in relief, finally relaxing now that the dog’s attention was no longer on her. She managed a small smile when the girl asked if she was okay. “I’m fine, she just took me by surprise. I’m, uh, not fond of big dogs.” An understatement if there ever was one. “I’m just glad you came when you did, I wouldn’t know what to do with her.”

Tanuki
PMWebsite
^
Tanuki
 Posted: Jul 15 2016, 03:52 PM

user posted image
If there was one thing that Rusty was far from, it was a vicious creature. If anything, she was too soft. But Hayden understood that some people had bad experiences with dogs, beyond simply not liking them. And unfortunately for Rusty she would resemble that of a wild dog, if it wasn’t for the tags at her neck being a jingling reminder that she was in fact an owned animal. So for her to surprise someone especially since Hayden refused to leash her unless there was some danger to the dog herself, wasn’t really unusual. Still, she was sorry that the dog had managed to scare anyone.

The dog sat at her side now, having settling from all the bounding around, and her tongue lolled out of her mouth, tail however still wagging rapidly while she panted. “Yeah, don’t worry, she’d sooner flop over for a belly rub than take someone’s arm off.” She assured her, though she was sure that probably didn’t sound as comforting as she wanted it to. “Ah, she never goes too far from me, do you, Rusty?” She asked, the dog seeming to get excited at the mention of her name. “Don’t think I’ve seen you around before.” And if she had, she probably wasn’t looking for friends. “I’m Hayden.”

user posted image
PM
^
flan
 Posted: Jul 15 2016, 04:28 PM

See, Sari didn’t even have a traumatizing past experience with a huge dog to justify her fear. It was simply because she had grown up around animals that barely reached her knees; when she left home and discovered people kept dogs the size of ponies as pets, it changed a few things. Mostly that, oh god, she never wanted to be on the wrong side of those jaws and teeth. Those dogs looked more like guard dogs than loving family pets, but who was she to judge? She’s never had one.

“Ah, well then.” She nodded tentatively. Okay, good to know. Prefers belly rubs over arms. Not that Sari was going to get close enough to test this theory, but still, for future reference it might be helpful. Sari smiled in reply to the girl’s- Hayden’s- remarks. “I’m not surprised we haven’t met before, I don’t actually live in the valley. I only visit on the weekends.” She stood up straight and took a deep breath, trying to compose herself. “My name is Sari, it’s nice to meet you, Hayden.” And she meant it, truly, though she could have done without the dog scaring her half to death.

Tanuki
PMWebsite
^
Tanuki
 Posted: Jul 16 2016, 05:14 AM

user posted image
Even if the woman didn’t seem very keen on her, the dog still seemed very keen on the woman before them. Blue eyes were still focused, tail still beating the poor ground beneath it as it wagged against it. And Hayden knew how that felt, there were often times the dog would unintentionally beat her tail against her leg, the thing had a lot more power than someone would thing. But she was being good at least, not approaching the woman when she saw her owner’s hand signal to stay just where she was. It was times like this that she truly appreciated the dog’s obedience.

“Oh, yeah that would make sense.” She said. She knew there were a lot of weekend visitors, but she obviously couldn’t tell one person from the other around here. “So you’re from the city then?” The thought of the city itself made her nearly shudder, but not the people, and if she was a weekend visitor, that was usually where they were from. And she discovered that the woman’s name was Sari, and she made sure her dog remained in place before stepping forward, holding out her hand for the Sari to take. “I lived there once myself, but it was too…hectic. But it’s nice to meet you, too.” She mentioned, with a half-smile. “If you don’t mind my curiosity, and if you do feel free to tell me to piss off, what do you do here on the weekends? I’m sure it’s too sleepy of a valley for tourism.”

user posted image
PM
^
flan
 Posted: Jul 16 2016, 12:03 PM

The dog was definitely watching her, right? It wasn't just her imagination? Sari narrowed her eyes at it, moving ever so slightly to the right. Okay yes, it's eyes were following her. This is fine.

She turned her attention back on the girl, trying to relax as she smiled in reply. "Yes, I live in Westhaven. It took some getting used to, but I like it there. Just as much as I like it here, I suppose." She didn't necessarily live in two places at once, but sometimes it felt that way. And then there was her home with her mother, so really, Sari had three places she loved dearly. "The city isn't for everyone. Your heart chooses where your home is." She smiled again; she didn't think country life would suit her, but it was all just a matter of preference, really.

And then Sari really smiled. "Oh no don't worry about it, I love talking about my work!" She reached into her bag and pulled out her notes, continuing to say, "See, I'm a science professor at the university in Westhaven, but my main focus is on biology and botany. The life sciences, essentially. The valley houses an incredibly interesting ecosystem because of it's temperate climate. All kinds of plants grow here that you would ordinarily never find all together in one place like this. I come here on the weekends in the hopes of trying to find and record as many of them in each season as I can." In her hands was her notebook of just the flora she found during the Spring, and already it was fat and bulging. "It's incredibly interesting what you can find here!"

Tanuki
PMWebsite
^
Tanuki
 Posted: Jul 17 2016, 06:22 AM

user posted image

It was clear Rusty was watching her now, but this time she wouldn’t move without Hayden’s clear permission, which wasn’t given to her, and so she stood in place, tongue lolling and tail wagging almost idly now. Truly, the furry little monster was nothing to be feared but her size could have intimidated just about anyone. Hayden remembered being asked just what it was she fed the dog, but it was just the standard diet. Rusty had large paws as a puppy, and Hayden had anticipated her growing large, but maybe it was a little bigger than she herself expected. But it didn’t bother her all that much, except when the dog took over half of the bed at night. When big bed met big dog, it suddenly became much smaller.

And then Sari began talking about her work, and Hayden could spot the slight fear in her eyes replaced by a passion for her work. She liked people that could talk about their jobs like that. She was just a simple cleaner here, who did no more than come up with lyrics and melodies to go with them in her free time, but it was something that she loved, something she had to be passionate about. “Biology and Botany huh?” Hayden asked as she crossed her arms showing clear interest, though she didn’t know much about the topic herself. She went on about the Fauna in the area, and she had to agree that it changed a lot with the seasons.

“I know what you mean. I write songs, so I come out here a lot when I need to think, really clears my head since the forest gives you so many different things to look at.” She laughed as she motioned slightly to Rusty. “Unfortunately one of us is more interested in the Bullfrogs.”

user posted image
PM
^
flan
 Posted: Jul 17 2016, 09:06 PM

Sari loved what she did, both teaching and researching. She had been interested in the sciences since she was a little girl, and followed that love and interest to get to where she was today. She had a good life, and she was thankful for it. She smiled and nodded at Hayden's question, happy to see she wasn't boring the poor girl. "Yes, those are my main focuses, though I try to have a general knowledge of every field of science." The life sciences in particular were fascinating to her, and always had been; she would happily leave chemistry and physics to other people to study.

Oh, a songwriter? She nodded, still smiling a little. "I admire anyone who has talent in the arts. I'm not particularly good at those sorts of things, I'm afraid I'm too much of a left brain thinker." Thank god all her childhood drawings were packed safely away at home; if anyone found those, she'd be a laughing stock. "That is one thing I have to say I prefer better about Ioana than Westhaven, it's much easier to think out here." The noise of the city didn't necessarily bother Sari, but the calm of the valley was certainly a welcome relief, sometimes, from all the hustle.

Tanuki
PMWebsite
^
Tanuki
 Posted: Jul 19 2016, 12:40 PM

user posted image

Hayden looked over at Rusty, seeing her attention had long since been taken off of the woman in favor of a butterfly that had been flittering about the area. Her tail was wagging slowly, as if she wanted to go after it, but catching the look Hayden was giving her, the dog didn’t dare. Instead her hindquarters were plopped down in the grass, eyes searching the underbrush once again for the butterfly that had eluded her eyes in the moment that she had taken to look at Hayden. With the dog accounted for, Hayden focused back onto Sari, fully now.

“All of them? Impressive.” And it was, after all that would drive Hayden crazy, though she wasn’t exactly one for sciences, and she certainly was more for thinking with the right side of her brain. Still, it was admirable, someone so dedicated to their work that they would take the time to mull over every science there was. And how many was that, exactly? Hayden was only aware of the ones she was forced to learn in Highschool. She smiled slightly when she mentioned Ioana was much easier to think in.

“I think so too. There’s a lot of interesting characters around here too, you just…need to know where to look. The town isn’t always so asleep.” But she was sure that the woman knew that. “But I think we’ve taken up enough of your time. I’m sorry again about Rusty over there. She thinks with her heart first and head only…45% of the time.” She said as she motioned for the dog to come to her side.

user posted image
PM
^
flan
 Posted: Jul 19 2016, 08:58 PM

Oh dear, did that sound like she was bragging? How embarrassing. "Ah. Well," And here Sari smiled a little sheepishly, "Most of them. Unfortunately, it's impossible to fully dedicate yourself to studying everything in the known world." Didn't mean you couldn't try anyway, though. It was just made a little bit more difficult due to the fact that science was always developing and evolving, especially as more and more discoveries were made and research was conducted.

She nodded in reply, her thoughts wandering to all the townspeople she's met in the valley since she started visiting. "Yes. I find that every time I'm here, the town isn't quite as sleepy as some would lead you to believe." As long as you were willing to start a conversation, to venture outside your comfort zone, you were always guaranteed to meet someone you'd never find in the city. To find something new.

"But then, I don't live here." Perhaps the weekends were just busier for the town; Sari wouldn't know. She watched Rusty carefully as the dog trotted back to it's owner, though she was sure now that the dog would listen to Hayden. She smiled at the girl. "It's alright, I'm... sure Rusty is a lovely dog." Who knows though, since Sari wasn't exactly an expert. She waved as she turned to continue her walk down the forest path. "It was nice meeting you, Hayden. Until next time."

Tanuki ((next time minus dog lmao))
PMWebsite
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
New Poll

Our Affiliates
Skin coded by Ethereal for exclusive use on Summers Past
We are a Harvest Moon RP not affiliated with Harvest Moon, Story of Seasons, or Bokujō Monogatari - these series belong to their respective owners.