Ave Maria, Odette || Elijah
Hera
 Posted: Jan 21 2018, 10:25 PM

Walking the line between discontent and disaster

GROUP: Purple Leaf

Awards: 10

Rep: 4 pts

Elijah Miller
Hakumei http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu12/thewelladmin/bluestar_zpsxuz3nixi.png Spring 20 http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu12/thewelladmin/bluestar_zpsxuz3nixi.png Rain http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu12/thewelladmin/bluestar_zpsxuz3nixi.png Outfit

Elijah shook the rainwater from his hair as he stepped into the church, feeling and looking like a drowned rat. He took his glasses off and fumbled under his jacket for a dry spot on his shirt to wipe them off with. They were still cloudy and streaked when he put them back on, but there was nothing for it. The lights in the church looked cloudy and ethereal through the hazed glass, making everything seem that much more beautiful and otherworldly. A sense of peace washed over him as he walked softly through the church, taking a seat at one of the pews near the middle.

He came every Saturday. Rain, snow, sleet, or hail, one could find Elijah in the church come Saturday morning. It was one of the few focus points of his routine, the only thing besides work that he could look forward to from week to week. If he didn't go to the church, then what was Saturday? Just another 24 hours of kicking around town wondering what to do.

Another reason to come: how lost he felt. He had been in Ioana for almost a year and in that time he'd drifted off course. He had come here, so excited to finally be running his own station, only to find that most of his time was spent alone and bored. He'd only really made one friend, and Rom was a busy woman. He couldn't spend every day with her.

He clasped his hands and bowed his head, searching his heart for the Goddess' presence. "Harvest Goddess, hear my prayer. I ask you to please bless Ioana, bring the town prosperity and good fortune. Please bring lots of visitors, ones who take the train, so they'll expand services. And, if I may ask a small favor for myself, I'd like a chance to meet more people. Thank you." he finished, opening his eyes and leaning back in the pew to look up through the simple yet beautiful windows behind the pulpit. He allowed that sense of peace to wash over him again, half drifting off as he placidly contemplated life.
PM
^
Hakumei
 Posted: Jan 22 2018, 07:25 AM

skadoo skadae do u know da wae

GROUP: Yellow Leaf

Awards: 26

Rep: 20 pts

user posted image

| elijah/Hera | the church| spring 20, Y3 | yolo |

The church was always open to those who wanted to be there - she was always there unless she was out in the town visiting people or she was out getting groceries - the general activities that she did the same time every week. Odette was no stranger to regular faces in the church, whether she actually made conversation with them or not - sometimes they came up to her to ask her questions, other times they seemed like they wanted to be left alone, so Odette treated them as such. She wasn't the kind of priestess that intruded on people's time in the church unless they asked for it.

Odette quietly tottered down the stairs from her loft room to the main room of the church to already find someone there - someone she knew had come every Saturday, but always seemed so deep in thought that she didn't dare disturb him. Odette recognised him as the station master that had recently moved in, as she had seen him when she had returned to Ioana at the beginning of the season - but she had had no reason to interact with him then, because she had just wanted to get home.

Listening to his prayer made her smile - she seldom eavesdropped on people's prayers to the Goddess, but he hadn't seem to have realised that she was there and she didn't particularly have a choice as a result. When he had finished, she tenatively approached the pew he sat in. "I sincerely hope that the Goddess heard that prayer," she said to him quietly, smiling lightly. "I pray for that every day, too."

PMWebsite
^
Hera
 Posted: Jan 22 2018, 06:55 PM

Elijah Miller
Hakumei http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu12/thewelladmin/bluestar_zpsxuz3nixi.png Spring 20 http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu12/thewelladmin/bluestar_zpsxuz3nixi.png Rain http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu12/thewelladmin/bluestar_zpsxuz3nixi.png Outfit

Elijah startled a little as the priestess spoke. He hadn't heard her approach, as engrossed as he was in his own thoughts. He had seen her around before, of course he had, but he had been in such a funk recently that he'd just preferred to be alone or just with Rom. It occurred to him that his problem was probably a self-sustaining cycle. He didn't talk to enough people, so he got depressed, so he avoided people. He really was the root of all of his own problems.

He gave the priestess a sheepish smile and held out his hand in greeting. "I would hope it's what most people come here to pray for, ma'am. he said, trying to play off his surprise with a small attempt at humor. It was true, though. The way things were going, they should all be praying for their tiny town as hard as they could.

"My name is Elijah, by the way. I've seen you around, but I don't believe we've been formally introduced." he said, trying to remember if he'd ever been given her name in passing, even by a third party. If he had, it had been without context to place it with the face and the job.
PM
^
Hakumei
 Posted: Jan 23 2018, 12:46 PM

user posted image

She understood his reaction when she spoke out of nowhere - she had the same reaction with other people regardless of who they were, especially if she didn't notice their presence. It was just the way Odette was - shy and extremely worried about absolutely everything, so any unexpected noise was enough to make her jump. It happened often enough in the church that she was used to the creaks and squeaks, but anywhere else she was a practical mouse.

She took his hand and shook it, assuming that was what he meant by offering the hand to her. She smiled amicably at his response, although she took it more seriously than perhaps others did. "I hope so too. Sometimes I don't know what people come here to pray for, but I honestly hope they pray for the same as us." Odette honestly had no idea, so it was a comfort to know someone cared about the same as her.

Odette nodded. "You work at the station, right? she asked, wanting to make sure that she knew the right facts. "I'm Odette, the priestess - although I'm sure you know that now," she added awkwardly, flushing in her cheeks at the embarassment of mentioning something more obvious.

PMWebsite
^
Hera
 Posted: Jan 25 2018, 09:07 PM

Elijah Miller

"Yes, I'm the station master." he said, happy to be recognized, even though he hadn't been in Ioana very long. He tried to be present at the station, outside mingling with the travelers and not just in his office or at the switchboard. "My name is Elijah Miller.

"Oh, I knew that!" he said grinning. "I may keep to myself, but I'm here quite often. I like to come at least once a week. Since my first week here last Summer." he told her, remembering the first time he had set foot inside the church. He had been struck by how plain it was. Not because he thought it should be more grandiose, but because of how comforting it was. He had been in too many churches that felt empty and cold. This church, he thought, could never feel like that.

"You have a lovely church, Miss Odette." he said, smiling softly as he looked around it. It was so visually unimpressive, but a warmth made it glow,
and that glow made it feel close and secure. He truly believed the Goddess kept a presence here in some way.
"Whenever I'm here, I feel so at peace. Even when I'm unhappy or upset, here it's like everything is more clear. It's a very special place."
PM
^
Hakumei
 Posted: Jan 29 2018, 05:54 AM

user posted image

Her heart warmed inside when she heard that he had been coming to the church since last summer - around the time that she had left, and even though it saddened her to remember her absence when people had needed her, but she now knew that people had come to the church even without her to guide them for prayers. That was good for her to know, at least - that people still had faith even if she wasn't here to help them find it. She had a lot of work to do at this point, with fixing what she had left behind.

His words made her flush somewhat - she had never been very good with receiving compliments on anything, after all. "Ah - thank you," she stuttered out a reply. "I'm glad that it's helped people even when I haven't been here - I've always felt like the Goddess is present here. Not everyone understands that, but - she is here," she answered, glancing to the art of Itris on the wall above the altar.

Yes, her Goddess was always here, even if others didn't think so.

PMWebsite
^
Hera
 Posted: Feb 4 2018, 12:45 PM

Elijah Miller

For a moment, Elijah stayed silent, simply letting the atmosphere if the church fill the silent spaces between them. Usually it felt so awkward to just sit there silently with another person, but the church seemed built for exactly such things. He couldn't imagine anyone raising their voice here, or ever raising a hand to someone.

He wondered at her statement about her absence. Where had she gone all that time? It was rude to pry, and he didn't want to ask for fear of offending her. He supposed it wasn't much his business anyway. He didn't know the woman, after all. Which was probably rude of him, to not have introduced himself to the priestess yet.

"It occurs to me that it was perhaps a bit rude of me to not seek you out earlier, as I have been using your church's services for quite some time now." He said sheepishly. "Allow me to apologize. Perhaps by volunteering with the church?" He suggested, though he didn't know what kind of work the church did, or that he could do for the church.

The church in Plumtree town had been very active in the community, hosting a lot of events, doing canned food drives and fundraisers, constructing shelters and repairing the school. There was no end to the good works one could do through the church in his hometown. But Ioana was struggling, and the church may have been too. He would understand if they didn't have the money or membership to do much.
PM
^
Hakumei
 Posted: Feb 7 2018, 06:20 AM

user posted image

Odette would never let anyone come to blows in her church - in that case, she displayed amazing feats of strength where she literally strongarmed them out of her church and onto the grass outside, because no one was to fight in front of the Goddess, especially not in her church. Odette took matters such as that incredibly seriously, and while she was no saint about it - especially when it came to those kind of things, she wasn't afraid of raising her hand to someone - she wouldn't let anyone show disrespect to her Goddess.

She shook her head. "No, not at all. I was only able to return recently, so there was no way for you to find me anyway," she smiled somewhat sheepishly, although she wasn't particularly willing to disclose the details of her absence. It was somewhat embarrassing, to say the least. "Oh, I - only if you want to, I won't make you volunteer if you don't want to. There's not particularly a lot that needs doing that I don't already do," she stumbled over her words immediately. It would be nice to have volunteers, for sure, but like she said - she covered most of the church duties by herself as daily routine. She wasn't particularly sure what she'd do if someone else took on some of those.

Besides, it wasn't as if there was much she could do in this town. People that needed helping usually just upped and left, and she couldn't force people to believe in Itris. She had a healthy number of people who regularly came to services, although she wasn't sure how much that would have changed now.

PMWebsite
^
Hera
 Posted: Feb 8 2018, 10:04 PM

Elijah Miller

He supposed it was to be expected, given the state Ioana was in, that the Church didn't have much to do in the community. If there were few worshippers, then there was little in the tithing plate, and little funding to keep the church up let alone host events and oversee charity works. The church itself was probably as much a charity case as anyone in Ioana.

"I would love to be of service to the church and the community somehow, so you wouldn't be making me do anything I didn't want to. But if you have no work for me, I won't infringe in order to find some. But if you ever need any help whatsoever, don't hesitate to ask." He said, a bit disappointed that there was nothing for him to do, but altogether unconcerned as long as the church was taken care of without him.

He sat back for a moment, basking again in the peace of the church. Noticing something was off, he strained his ears trying to figure out what it was. After a moment, he realized the rain outside had slowed from a torrential downpour to a light drizzle. "I should take this opportunity to get home. Who knows when it will start back up again." he said, grabbing his coat and hat.
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
New Poll

Our Affiliates
Skin coded by Ethereal for exclusive use on Summers Past
We are a Harvest Moon RP not affiliated with Harvest Moon, Story of Seasons, or Bokujō Monogatari - these series belong to their respective owners.