Hakumei
 Posted: Jun 23 2016, 01:53 PM

skadoo skadae do u know da wae

GROUP: Yellow Leaf

Awards: 26

Rep: 20 pts

user posted image

| eli/Ethereal | the church| spring 6 | bbies |

She tended not to tell people it was her birthday. The only people who knew were her family and Dean's, and that was how she preferred it. She didn't want lots of people to know about it. That was just what she did, but at the same time, she quite liked being by herself on her birthday rather than the big birthday parties her mother often tried to make her go to. It was nice to have her thoughts to herself and go and see Dean later on in the day because he never let her birthday go unnoticed.

It was a quiet morning. It was bright and sunny outside (which she was thankful for; she really hated rain on her birthday) and she'd just finished her morning prayers and was cleaning up around the main hall of the church. The sunlight was streaming in through the windows and Odette took a break for a moment to inspect them. She did love the stained glass, but they seemed as if they were becoming worn. Maybe she'd dig into her savings and see if she could get them cleaned and restored. They would look so nice -

But then there was a loud knock on the door and she jumped, nearly falling off of her perch on one of the pews as she stared at the door in confusion. No one was coming up this morning - people usually said if they were coming and there wasn't morning prayer, so she had no idea who it was. She made her way to the door cautiously. "Hello?" she called before she opened the door, and squeaked in surprise. "Elliot?"

PMWebsite
^
Ethereal
 Posted: Jun 30 2016, 06:25 PM

coolest kid this side of the atlantic

GROUP: Administrator

Awards: 38

Rep: 45 pts

user posted image

Elliot A. Mercier
THURSDAY SPRING 6, YEAR TWO • MIDDAY • SUNNY
"I can't believe how bad I suck, it's true. What could you possibly see in little ol' 3 chord me?"

Everybody had a birthday. It was common sense, because every living thing had to be born. Thus, every living thing had a day marked on the calendar which was dedicated to their birth.

They'd never talked about it. Elliot didn't celebrate his birthday, and that was his reasoning for not bringing up the subject, but he wasn't certain that was Odette’s. She was quiet, like him, so Elliot wondered if she simply preferred to celebrate her birthday quietly, in the presence of family and close friends. Sadly, thinking that only served to make Elliot upset. He'd really hoped she considered him a close friend.

Still, close friends or not, he’d gotten Odette a birthday present. He'd had it for a while, actually, for about two seasons. It was a large book of lore surrounding the Goddess and Her Church. Elliot had discovered it whilst attempting to reduce the piles of books in the storeroom which had been a fruitless effort, really, considering the extent of the mess.

He'd immediately seen the beauty beneath the dust. Elliot had wiped away a couple of decade’s worth to reveal a delicate cover with inticrate engravings and cursive letters in gold gilt. Further inspection had revealed hundreds of pages of information and breathtaking paintings of Itris in all of Her glory. Elliot himself had gotten caught up in reading it and enjoying its beauty, having spent an hour with it before Oliver had jumped on his back and ended his peace. It was supposed to be library property, but Elliot thought it deserved an owner who'd appreciate it more than he or any other person could.

After thoroughly cleaning and restoring the book (storage damage was, thankfully, minimal), Elliot had wrapped it in light pink wrapping paper and placed it on his bedside table. That was where it had stayed for Autumn and Winter. He'd had no idea when Odette’s birthday was.

His own birthday had came and been, so Elliot was sure Odette’s had to be soon… either that or he'd missed it.

It was Oliver who'd found out, the four year old who was proving himself to be an investigating prodigy.

Oliver always made sure to talk to Odette at church, both before and after the day's sermon. She was his fourth favourite person after his daddy, his Auntie Ina, and his grandpa, naturally. At some point, she'd let the exact date of her birthday slip, and Oliver had never forgotten.

“Swon Princess birthday soon,”
he'd chimed up one day, holding up the pretty picture he'd been working on specially for the occasion. After further pressing from Elliot, he'd finally garnered the date - the fourth of Spring. Two days notice was all that had been given, and Elliot had panicked to get things ready in time.

Though she hadn't explicitly told him, Elliot knew he had to visit her on her birthday, to at least give her a gift and card. After all, she'd done the same for him last season, and the same for Oliver the season before that. Thankfully, although there was no time to go shopping in the city, Oliver had both of them covered on the card front. Heavy, covered in glitter, and a stray toddler hair accidentally glued to the front, Odette was sure to love it. As for the present? Elliot wasn't so sure anymore.

Bang, bang, bang!

“‘Ette, ‘Ette, ‘Ette!”

Oliver, banging on the door with his balled-up toddler fists, had given Elliot no time to seventh, eighth, and ninth-guess knocking; he had to give Odette her present now.

“Hello?”
a muffled voice called out from behind the door. Oliver cheerily exclaimed again, looking up at his daddy with bright eyes and a grin. Elliot returned the excited smile with an anxious one of his own that was then redirected to Odette.

“Elliot?”
she exclaimed.

“An’ Ollie!”
Oliver yelled up, crossing his arms grumpily at the thought of having been overlooked by his fourth favourite person.

“Hello, Odette,”
Elliot said softly. “I… um… I hope you don't mind, but Oliver told me it was your birthday and I-... we just came to drop off your card and… and present.”

“Happy bir-day!”
Oliver cheered, bouncing up and down waving Odette’s card at her whilst his father stood still and shy next to him, holding out the present. Elliot was as pink as the wrapping paper now.
PMWebsite
^
Hakumei
 Posted: Jul 2 2016, 12:03 PM

user posted image

She couldn't ever remember mentioning her birthday to Elliot; she might have mentioned it to Oliver and she couldn't remember that either. She wasn't exactly good at remembering those kinds of things, but if she had mentioned it, it certainly wasn't because she wanted either of them to know her birthday. She didn't want to be a burden on them for it or for them to think that she purposely wanted them to know her birthday or something. That just wasn't what Odette was like. If anything, she would have been happy if they didn't know it at all.

Through the door, she had heard Oliver's enthusiastic voice, and she knew immediately that that was the source of the giving of her birthday date. Of course it was going to be him - he had let her know on the downlow about his daddy's birthday, and he'd had that way of wangling her birthday out of her. He was definitely going to be something when he grew up, that was for sure.

She hadn't meant to leave the little one out of her exclamation, that was for sure - but she certainly made up for it.

"And Ollie," she smiled down at him as she held out her arms to him for a hug. She did enjoy hugs with the toddler, even though he was quickly becoming to be too big for her already. It was a shame when you were this short.

Her face, however, blushed immediately as she looked back up to Elliot and saw what he was holding out to her. Immediately began to stutter. "I - you really didn't have to - I - Goddess - thank you," she finally got out, because she had no idea what else she wanted to say and she was being held two different things in two directions.

Bless them both, Itris. They deserve happiness.

"I - do you want t-tea? It's a long walk... I have juice if Oliver wants some?"

Once again, she was trying to redirect the attention from herself. She had no idea what to do except to tentatively take the delicately wrapped gift from Elliot and not to drop it from her shaking hands.

PMWebsite
^
Ethereal
 Posted: Jul 3 2016, 01:01 PM

user posted image

Elliot A. Mercier
"I can't believe how bad I suck, it's true. What could you possibly see in little ol' 3 chord me?"

Oliver’s sulk immediately resolved when his presence was acknowledged and offered a hug. He giggled, unfolding his arms, and he rushed forward to cling to Odette. He wrapped his arms around her as far as they would go and from that moment on the ecstatic toddler decided he wasn’t letting go. Oliver’s intentions immediately fell through, however, when he saw, from the corner of his eye, Elliot holding out Odette’s present.

“Daddy, daddy, daddy!”
he yelled, releasing Odette from a toddler grip that was surprisingly strong. Oliver redirected his attention to Elliot. He stood on his tiptoes (his daddy was far taller than Odette!) and made grabby motions with his hands. “I wanna, I wanna give ‘Ette my card!”

Elliot passed the heavy lump of a card to Oliver, who immediately spun around and held it up for Odette.

“‘Ette, ‘Ette! I made you this! I made it!”
he declared. “It’s you, wi’ pink sparkle sparkle hair an’, an’ balloons an’, an’ presents!”

Elliot smiled affectionately at Oliver for a moment, who was busy beaming at Odette. Toddlers had no concept of secrets and surprises.

He didn’t know what to say either, other than to shrug slightly and stammer, “You’re welcome.”

In an ideal world, one where it was easier to speak, Elliot would have told Odette that he valued her so much as a friend that of course he had to visit her with a gift and a shy smile on her birthday. Except, it wasn’t an ideal world, so Elliot kept smiling, silent and bashful.

“Tea… tea sounds nice,”
Elliot replied. Of course, already Oliver had squeezed his way past Odette and was toddling down the church at full speed. He remembered where the living space was from the time he’d had pie and milk with Grace.

Although Oliver had long-since mastered the art of climbing stairs without assistance, Elliot was still the overly concerned parent as he watched Oliver clamber up the uneven stone stairs.
“Careful, Ollie!” he yelled, trying to sound less panicked and more stern.

Elliot offered up a shaky smile as he stepped inside the church. He began to head upstairs with Odette.

“I think Oliver might be more excited for your birthday than he was for his own!”
he laughed.
PMWebsite
^
Hakumei
 Posted: Jul 4 2016, 12:51 PM

user posted image

She did love Oliver, that much was certain, and while he was at this age she would always make sure that he was happy. Or, for as long as she absolutely knew him and got to see him, she would make him happy in whatever way it was possible. That was just how she was, wanting to make anyone she cared about happy. Oliver was just a little boy - she wasn't going to ruin things for him at all. She'd look after him for as long as she was allowed to. And if that meant him being excited about her birthday, then she'd go along with that just for him.

Bless him. His card was very typically toddler-handmade, but that didn't mean it wasn't going to get its pride of place on her mantelpiece so that she could look at it every day when she woke up. She had already decided that as she accepted the card and took him back into her arms again. "Thank you, Ollie. It's lovely - you could be a big artist!" she beamed at him. Yep. It was definitely going on the mantelpiece even after her birthday was over.

She worried about Oliver zooming off, but she knew as soon as she started that Odette didn't need to worry - he ran up those stairs as quickly as she did when she needed to grab something from her living space with as much comfort as she had. A certain someone had clearly been there before a bit too many times.

"I have green tea and things as well, if you'd like - though if you just want normal tea -" she didn't really know what to offer, even as they both headed inside.

She smiled, somewhat awkwardly, as she lifted up her dress so that she didn't trip on it going up the stairs. "I don't see why he should be. Twenty six isn't anything special."

PMWebsite
^
Ethereal
 Posted: Jul 15 2016, 11:14 AM

user posted image

Elliot A. Mercier

The toddler had been ecstatic to hear Odette praise his artwork and to comment that he could be a big artist. He currently didn’t have any intentions of becoming an artist (spaceman in the candy galaxy here he came!) but it was soothing none the less to hear such strong praise coming from somebody he admired and liked so much. It fuelled his desire to draw more and more.

"I have green tea and things as well, if you'd like - though if you just want normal tea -"

“Green tea sounds nice. I’m used to having regular tea-”
It was all he could afford. “-so it’ll make quite a nice change.”

Just as he’d been worried about Oliver climbing the stairs, Elliot was worried about Odette too. Her dress was lovely, the typical attire of the priestess, but it draped down and was a tripping hazard. He walked behind her, keeping a little distance between them. Not so much that he could accidentally step on Odette’s dress, but not so little that he couldn’t quickly reach out his arms to stop her from falling.

“I don’t see why he should be. Twenty six isn’t anything special.”

“I think it is,”
Elliot replied, though really the number in itself wasn’t important to Elliot; it was the fact it was Odette’s birthday. “But I guess for toddlers, any birthday is an important one. I suppose it’s sad, really, that as we get older, we don’t keep that same excitement we had when we were children.”
Hakumei
PMWebsite
^
Hakumei
 Posted: Jul 16 2016, 09:44 AM

user posted image

She was never one to crush children's dreams. If she heard Oliver's dreams to be a spaceman in the candy galaxy she would most likely ask him if there was any space on his rocket ship for her to come too. She had to be honest, but Odette did find the idea of a candy galaxy very appealing anyway. But soon he had run off and she was left with Elliot, and it was very well known that she got very flustered around Elliot nowadays. Well, at least, it was between the two of them.

She smiled in relief. "My parents often get it for me from the city. It's quite a relaxing drink, if that's anything to say about it." It wasn't always in everyone's liked tastes, either, but Odette was always one for new tastes and she wasn't always fussy about what she had to eat and drink either. Like Elliot said, it made a nice change to regular tea, as much as she liked her regular tea as well.

She rubbed the back of her neck awkwardly when they got to the top - it seemed that Oliver had already made himself at home, though obviously she didn't mind in the slightest. "I - I suppose so. I never really liked birthdays as a child, but that was because my parents tried to throw me big parties... I guess they learned once I reached my teenage years," she laughed sheepishly, but it was somewhat strained.

She just thought it sounded really, really, pathetic.

PMWebsite
^
Ethereal
 Posted: Jul 23 2016, 08:49 AM

user posted image

Elliot A. Mercier

“The city does have a lovely variety of teas,”
Elliot replied. “And coffees, too, I suppose, though I’m not really much of a coffee drinker.”

It was perhaps one of the few things Elliot had liked about living in the city, which was strange considering he’d never had the money to be able to buy a speciality tea more than once a season. He could still buy the tea now if he wanted to, on one of his weekly trips to visit his father, but he never did. It seemed like he never had enough time.

Oliver had long-since arrived upstairs, and had scrambled to pull himself up on a sofa.

“Slow,”
he teased. “Daddy and ‘Ette slow.”

Elliot smiled and nodded. “Slow, yes.”

He was twenty-seven, feeling more like seventy-two these days. He could excuse himself for being slow.

Elliot didn’t think what she’d said was pathetic. Rather, he related, so he offered a shy smile as reassurance.

“I’m the just the same. I have a twin-“

Had he told her about Marina before? Elliot assumed so. They were good friends, after all.

“-and she was a lot more extroverted than I was. She loved having birthday parties, so, when we still children, we always had a joint one. I didn’t like that. I tended to always get a new set of books for my birthdays, and it’s insanely hard to concentrate on the story in front of you when you have a house full of screaming children and the fear of flying jelly ruining the pages.”

“I don’t celebrate my birthday now, actually. Or, at least, I haven’t been for the last decade or so. My father tends to get me a card and a little something, and that’s it. But, Oliver’s started to make a big deal out of birthdays, including mine, so that’s my peaceful days of pretending I’m not growing older gone!”

Hakumei
PMWebsite
^
Hakumei
 Posted: Jul 24 2016, 04:19 PM

user posted image

Odette only occasionally drank coffee, and that was mostly in the mornings. She made a personal rule never to drink coffee after three in the afternoon because it would affect her sleep, so a lot of the time she ended up just sticking to tea in the end. She knew they both contained caffeine, but she found tea a lot more relaxing. She didn't quite understand how that worked, but she was never too bothered enough to look into it.

She smiled in amusement at Oliver and nodded in response as she bustled about to make some tea, listening to Elliot all the while. In the meantime, she also got some juice in a little cup for Oliver. He liked juice, right?

She hadn't realised Elliot had a twin sister, and her heart almost sank. It was almost like when she had first met Dean's family for the first time - Dean had a twin sister in the form of Ella and that had been scary enough. She was still convinced that Ella didn't like her at all. So this meant that she had another person in someone that she cared about's life to try and get to like her.

She understood where Elliot was coming from. The first party she had attended that was like that had terrified the life out of her, and ever since, Odette hadn't gone to them as a child.

"Yeah, I don't really celebrate mine much either, as you can tell," she answered softly as she poured hot water onto the leaves. She had to let the kettle stand for a little out of fear that she might burn the leaves in the process. Odette smiled softly and looked to Oliver, laying on the sofa.

"Ah, well, it's got to be a big deal for him. It's his daddy's special day."

PMWebsite
^
Ethereal
 Posted: Aug 23 2016, 03:21 PM

user posted image

Elliot A. Mercier

Elliot had always thought that him and Odette were similar, and it was with each new encounter that he realised more and more that they really were quite alike. He was quiet and shy, and so was she. She appreciated the little things in life, and so did he. He didn't celebrate his birthday, and neither did she. Elliot smiled back at her.

He watched as she poured the tea, and it was another thing to reassure him that they were going to be good friends, perhaps for a lifetime.

With his beloved son and beloved friend in the same room, Elliot couldn't imagine happiness could take a form greater than this.

Hakumei
PMWebsite
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
New Poll

Our Affiliates
Skin coded by Ethereal for exclusive use on Summers Past
We are a Harvest Moon RP not affiliated with Harvest Moon, Story of Seasons, or Bokujō Monogatari - these series belong to their respective owners.