Tanuki
 Posted: Mar 8 2018, 03:47 PM

Sneaky Trash Panda at your service

GROUP: Moderator

Awards: 36

Rep: 25 pts

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Vance was back in town,that was what his Uncle had told her. Well, when he had told her that, he had still been in town, but apparently, according to her mother, he was gone now. Not gone as in, gone to the Goddess, but he had left on his own little adventure. It made her thoughts revisit what he had said about Vance. She hadn't seen him since she was young, since she had all those silly ideas about how the world worked, and that everything was as easy at it was, for a young child like herself.

But now that she was older, a lot of those ideals she had then, just made no sense at all now. She wondered if he remembered the things she had said to him back then. They had occasionally written each other letters since then, but lately she had been finding it hard to write more than one letter a week, and Markus wrote fairly frequently, which had made it hard for her. And honestly, she had been surprised when he had started sending her letters in the first place.

Maybe she thought since he lived elsewhere, it would be easy enough for him to forget about her. But now he was back, or at least it was something her mother had confirmed for her. So she had promised to go take some cookies down to his house, to see him in person again. But somehow, she almost didn't feel ready to do that. Despite that, she was already on her way. Sunny days weren't as often a problem for her, though she often had to wear sunglasses to protect her already fragile eyes, and honestly at the start of spring, it looked a little bit ridiculous.

And now she stood at the door to his home, taking a deep breath. He probably wouldn't recognize her now, as seeing him now that they were older would be a new experience for her too. But it was now or probably never. So she took a deep breath, steeled her nerves, and knocked on the door, holding the plate with her free hand. "Anyone home?" She called softly.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Tag: Frostbone
Date: Spring 3rd, Year 3 (Morning)
Outfit: Here
Weather: Sunny
#db7d99
PM
^
Frostbone
 Posted: Mar 14 2018, 02:05 AM

The guy that does the stuff and the things.

GROUP: Indigo Leaf

Awards: 9

Rep: 3 pts

Spring 03, Year 03
Morning
Mood:
Pleasantly surprised
Tag! Tanuki

user posted image

“Eden, this look straight to you down there?”

“Yeah, sure.”

“...Could you at least look, hon?”

Another move, another rough patch for Vance and his daughter. While it wasn't really accurate of their relationship, at the moment, it wasn't exactly the best. But to be fair, it was always like that whenever they moved. Vance really couldn't blame the poor girl. If he didn't have to move, he wouldn't. But sure enough, something would come up. Lack of money, lack of work, something would force him to have to relocate, Eden in tow as well. After she adjusted, things would be back to normal, but until then, he had a pissed off sixteen year old on his hands.

“It's fine, dad. Really.”

Sighing and nodding his head, Vance climbed down from the ladder he was perched on and stood next to the sulking teen. Sure enough, the picture frame did seem to be nice and level. Whether Eden actually looked at it or just told him what he wanted to hear, it didn't matter this time. Putting on his best happy face as he had learned to do when she got in this kind of mood, Vance reached into his pocket, pulling out a few coins.

“Go on ahead and grab something to eat, Edie.” Vance smiled. “Chestnut Street used to have a lot of good places to eat. Hopefully that's still true.”

With a roll of her eyes, Eden took the money and her leave. Still couldn't blame her for being in a bad mood, but it didn't mean that he had to like it. Given the circumstances, Vance was sure it would be the last move for them, at least until Eden was old enough to leave the nest. A couple of years of stability in all honesty would be the longest amount of time that the two had spent in one place in quite a while. True, the town had withered a little bit from his time living there....maybe a little more than a little bit, come to think of it, but the few folks he had met on the streets seemed to be a spirited lot.

”Anyone home?”

A knock on the door and a woman's voice managed to snap him back to reality. Carefully navigating the living room and the several boxes from moving that occupied it, Vance made his way over to his front door and opened it. Well now, that was certainly interesting. On the other side of the door on his porch was a blonde haired woman, easy on the eyes, wearing sunglasses, and brandishing a plate of cookies. A welcome to town present? It was something he did miss about small towns. Pursing his lips in thought as he looked over the woman, he did have a feeling that he might know her. While it was possible for a newcomer to bring baked goods to a newcomer, it did seem like something that would be done by an established member of the community. At any rate, it was certainly a welcome break from unloading boxes and dealing with a moody teenager.

“Good morning, miss.” Vance offered up with a smile. “Hoping that I'm not coming off as rude, but I'm assuming those are for me?”
PMEmailYIM
^
Tanuki
 Posted: Mar 14 2018, 08:17 AM

Eileen was a little nervous, standing there at the door. Surely he wouldn't recognize her, it had been too long, and they had both grown so much. No matter how many letters you wrote, you could never put the change of voice or appearance into letter. And surely she sounded less pitchy than she had as a little girl. And it also made her wonder how he had grown. She knew he had a daughter now, but from what her mother told her, it had only been he and her daughter who had taken over his Uncle's old home.

And she froze when he finally answered the door. He was tall, certainly, tall. Large and Muscular he was certainly much different from the little boy she remembered, and the warm voice didn't help the slight warmth that stained her cheeks as she tried to find her voice. Words, Eileen, she knew how to use them" "I uh..." she swallowed, glancing to the cookies as he mentioned them. It was clear he didn't recognize her, and that was okay, because her brain was still trying to catch up to the fact this was Vance she was talking to.

"U-Uhm...Cookies! Oh right yes, I'm sorry, here." She said, handing them to him with a soft smile. "I'm sorry, I don't know where my manners went. It was a welcome to the neighborhood thing," she started, pausing slowly as she thought about. "Or, more of a welcome back, actually." With the sun not directly in her eyes, she took her glasses off, a light pink tinge to her cheeks as she smiled at him. "Eileen. Welcome back, Vance."

#db7d99
PM
^
Frostbone
 Posted: Mar 18 2018, 03:20 AM

Spring 03, Year 03
Morning
Mood:
Pleasantly surprised
Tag! Tanuki

user posted image

”I uh...”

Well, it was certainly an improvement over the silence, at any rate. Clearly the cat had this woman's tongue. For his part Vance stood there, a slight smile etched on his face in an attempt to put the blonde at ease. Granted he was a bit taller than her and some saw beards as intimidating, so maybe that had something to do with it.

”U-Uhm...Cookies! Oh right yes, I'm sorry, here.”

Ah, there we are. Chuckling, Vance took the baked goods and turned around, gently setting the platter down on a table next to the door. And pleasantly enough, more words followed. Apparently the figurative cat got sprayed with water or something and was no longer holding her tongue. The man nodded at her explanation, although cocked his head slightly with confusion at the whole 'welcome back' bit. Oh now, this was awkward. This was someone that knew him. But who? The only ones that he had really kept in touch with over the years were his uncle and...

“Eileen.” Vance said at the same time she did. He kind of felt silly not figuring it out right away. But then again, after a quarter century or so, people change quite a bit. Last they saw each other, they were a lot younger. And a lot shorter. And a lot of other things, probably. But at any rate, gone was the small little girl that had followed him around and in her stead was a beautiful young lady. How time changed things. Realizing that he was the silent one now, Vance shook his head as if to knock cobwebs out and promptly wrapped his friend up in an embrace.

“It's good to see you again, Eileen.” Vance said as he probably hugged her a little too tight, backing away with a chuckle. “Sorry about that. It's just a little different seeing someone in the flesh instead of just reading a letter. How've you been?”
PMEmailYIM
^
Tanuki
 Posted: Mar 18 2018, 05:32 AM

It was a little hard for her to tell what she was feeling right now. Sure when she was so much younger, she had followed Vance everywhere. Puppy Love if you could even call it that for someone so young, but now here they were, older, questionably wiser, and those kids were nowhere in sight anymore. She felt relief he was back, but also maybe fear, embarrassment. She didn't know if she'd have the means to advance in her life after she completely lost her eyesight. How would she ever tell an old friend that she was destined to be a failure.

Well, maybe not.

But with her small pool of knowledge on how to handle her problem, things always seemed to be heading that was no matter what she did. But Vance's smile put her at ease, and it was nice to see him again, to know he was okay. When she had presented him with the cookies, he seemed to recognize her as he felt his voice mingle with hers as he seemed to remember her name. He was silent for a few moments, and at least out of the sun now Eileen was able to pull up the shades. "Vance?" She asked quietly.

But it didn't take long for him to kick himself into gear, and when he did Eileen didn't have much time to react as she found herself swept up into strong arms. Definitely these weren't the kind of hugs she remembered, but perhaps she decided, she should stop dwelling on old memories. With a deep tinge of red to her face, she wrapped her arms around his back in return.

"I-It's good to see you too." She said with a soft yet sheepish smile. And she was so glad she had. When he apologized for the hug, she gently waved it off. "Oh don't worry, really. We haven't seen each other in forever, right?" She asked with a small smile. "I feel the same way. Letters are nice but I'm really glad you're back. Ioana just hasn't been quite the same." She admitted with a nod. "I've been okay, you know. My parents still own the store and I've been learning how to make rings and stuff for the past few years. It's been quiet, maybe less quiet in recent years around town but things haven't changed that much."

She thought about his letters for a moment and looked back at him. "You said you had a daughter, didn't you?" She asked, a slight frown as she thought further into it. "How is she? I can't imagine that moving is easy on anyone," Vance included. "I just hope the rest of the teens around here will help her feel more at home."

#db7d99
PM
^
Frostbone
 Posted: Mar 20 2018, 02:03 AM

Spring 03, Year 03
Morning
Mood:
Pleasantly surprised
Tag! Tanuki

user posted image

”Ioana just hasn't been quite the same.”

Yeah, that was an....understatement, to say the least. Vance had only been back for a couple of days, so with settling into the house, he hadn't had much of an opportunity to survey the town, but it was certainly a little on the run down side. He'd heard things from folks in passing, particularly the old timers that remembered him from his time there in his childhood. Businesses had moved out as money dried up, thanks in part to various Westhaven interests trying to buy the town up for their own purposes. It sucked, but sadly that was the kind of thing that happened to the 'little man,' so to speak. At any rate, he was back, and was planning on using his skill set to help not only his family, but hopefully the community as well. But there was plenty of time for that later.

Continuing to listen on, Vance smiled and nodded his head as Eileen talked about how she was going into the family trade, as well as being happy that her folks were doing well. In all honesty, Eileen's parents treated him more like their child than his own did. It was part of the reason why the two of them had remained so close over the years, even if a large part of it was through writing letters. He figured that he should pop in and say hi once he got things taken care of with the house and his workshop. The large shed next to the house would serve that purpose nicely, he thought.

”You said you had a daughter, didn't you? How is she? I can't imagine that moving is easy on anyone.”

“Yeah, that's pretty accurate...” Vance replied, a nervous chuckle in his voice. “Although to be fair, I've had to move us around so much over the last few years that I really can't fault her for being upset. It probably doesn't help that it's been just me and her the last...twelve? Yeah, the last twelve years. But Edie's a good kid. Really smart. Really sweet. When she isn't being moody. She's out getting something to eat right now, but I think you'd like her. Hopefully you'll be able to meet her soon.”
PMEmailYIM
^
Tanuki
 Posted: Mar 20 2018, 06:43 PM

Though she had been nervous initially coming over to Vance’s house, Eileen was able to relax now as they got deeper into conversation. Things were different but here they were, talking as if distance were never an issue. Sure there were a lot of things he didn’t know changed as well, but they didn’t need to get into that right now, especially because the truth if the situation made her sad.

Though he seemed upset when she mentioned his daughter, and explained she hadn’t exactly taken the move well. She nodded softly, and she gently reached out to touch his shoulder. ”Don’t worry, I can understand why she’s upset, but things will get better for her. There are some nice kids in the valley, too.”She assured him or at least tried to. She didn’t want to speak too much for Eden, after all the two had never met.

When Vance said he and Eden had been alone for twelve years, she hid a frown by looking away. She wondered what kind of woman would be able to let go of Vance. When she was younger, he had been her closest friend, and she couldn’t see that he had changed all that much. So why would she leave him alone? Was it her choice? She decided not to ask.

”I’m sure she’ll love the Valley. There’s plenty of places to explore, and once she knows the woods she’ll be navigating it as well as we used to. Remember how much I loved the lake when we were little?” She asked, trying to continue to reassure. ”There’s plenty to see, even if it seems boring.” And she’d continue to want to see it until the day she couldn’t any longer.

”I’m sure I’ll like her. Its a shame the Valley lost the candy shop we used to go to a few years back. I’m sure she would have liked their mix and match options, if she even likes Candy at all.” She chuckled softly. ”And Vance? You...how have you been? I know things are...different.” She mentioned carefully.

#db7d99
PM
^
Frostbone
 Posted: Mar 26 2018, 01:33 AM

Spring 03, Year 03
Morning
Mood:
Pleasantly surprised
Tag! Tanuki

user posted image

”There's plenty to see, even if it seems boring.”

Well, Eileen certainly was making some optimistically positive points. As much as Vance hated it, Eden was quick to adapt to new surroundings, in large part because she didn't really have much of a choice but to do so. The craftsman couldn't help but chuckle at the woman's optimism. Not due to sarcasm or anything, but mainly because it was a refreshing difference from the last several years. Vance had dedicated himself to ensuring that his daughter had a healthy and happy life. For the most part, he thought he did good with that, save for the whole 'lack of stability' thing. Something that would hopefully change now with their latest move.

The smile on his face broadened as Eileen continued on, talking about the fun they'd had exploring the lake and woods. Honestly, Vance figured that Eden would appreciate that. She did enjoy painting, and in all honesty, it didn't seem like it mattered what she painted, as long as she got to have a brush in her hand. There was a fairly good chance that she could find some kind of inspiration out there. And as such, hopefully warm up to the move and the community a little more.

”And Vance? You...how have you been? I know things are...different.”

“Me?” Vance repeated, tilting his head in thought. “Well, I've been alright, all things considered. There have been a couple of rough patches here and there, but I'm doing okay.”

Pursing his lips in thought, Vance kind of had an idea of what Eileen was kind of hinting at. May as well get that on out there to get it over and done with. Just like ripping off a band-aid. A really big band-aid.

“My parents...”Vance began, scratching his chin as he thought out his words. “...well, I still haven't talked to them since a little after my eighteenth birthday. Stopped bothering to send them mail about a decade ago or so. Sasha...Eden's mom...haven't seen her since she left. Which really, it's a big loss for her because our daughter has grown up into an amazing young lady...sorry. I know it's not exactly happy topics I'm bringing up, but I'm sure you've been a tiny bit curious, right?”
PMEmailYIM
^
Tanuki
 Posted: Mar 26 2018, 10:05 AM

Eileen wondered a lot about her friend who had moved from the valley so suddenly when they were young. It was still a little hard to believe they were here talking. And from the sounds of it, a single father, Vance had been through a lot, especially if this wasn't the first time they had moved. She felt a pang of sadness for Eden. She was still a teenager, and had already had to move around so much from what Vance told her, and while she knew there were worse things that could happen, it must have been hard to lose your friends again and again, she remembered being sad when Vance left town, too.

She was a little more reassured when she asked how he himself was doing okay despite the rough patches he had been hitting along the way. Though she wondered if she had asked too much when he mentioned his parents. She knew they weren't good people, considering Vance had preferred her parents to his own when they were younger. She reached out without thinking about it much when he moved onto the topic of Eden's mother. She didn't want to ask why Sasha had left, but from the sounds of it she was still alive.

It made her think a little bit. Why would someone leave Vance? Especially the mother of his child. She felt a pang of something in her stomach, maybe it was even a bit of jealousy as she thought about it, but the thought faded quickly. "I-It's okay! I'm the one who asked, sort of." she said with a sheepish smile. "I haven't met her but from what you tell me, Eden is a wonderful young woman. And I...won't ask you to go into detail but...if she didn't want to stay to see what kind of woman her daughter would become then...t-that's not...on you..." She almost lost the courage to say what she was going to, but she was able to finish the sentence, though she lost the nerve to look him in the eyes. "Vance...?" she asked, gaze still averted. "D-Do you want to walk down to the lake? Like we...we used to?"

#db7d99
PM
^
Frostbone
 Posted: Mar 29 2018, 08:10 PM

Spring 03, Year 03
Morning
Mood:
Pleasantly surprised
Tag! Tanuki
Words: 417

user posted image

”...if she didn't want to stay to see what kind of woman her daughter would become then..t-that's not...on you...”

Vance couldn't help but smile in response to Eileen's words. Granted, there were things he probably could have done better in his relationship with Sasha, but any issues the two of them may have had certainly didn't warrant her abandoning her daughter. Especially to potentially start another family. Vance had stopped trying to reach out to Sasha a long time ago after several unanswered letters, so for all he knew, the guy she stepped out with and her could have had kids. For their sake he kind of hoped not as Sasha had certainly proven that she didn't quite have the whole motherhood thing down too well.

But rather the reason for the smile was Eileen herself. She really hadn't changed too much from the girl that he had known all those years ago and the young woman that he had continued to exchange letters with. She was still caring, sweet, maybe a little shy, but that was part of her charm in Vance's mind. Although Vance couldn't help but notice that Eileen's gaze had kind of drifted away from him while she was talking. Chuckling quietly, Vance reached out with a hand, gently resting it on her shoulder in reassurance.

“Hey. I know that this isn't exactly the happiest thing to talk about, but things have been okay.” Vance offered up, trying to reassure her with his words as well. “There were plenty of rough patches, but we survived. It's what I've done all my life. And really, if anything, having someone depending on you does make for some really good motivation to keep moving forward. Shit happens, yeah, but sometimes all you can do is move your left leg forward, and then your right.”

”Vance...? D-Do you want to walk down to the lake? Lie we...we used to?”

The lake. It really had been a long time. It was one of his favorite places as a child. The serenity and peace of the area had led young Vance to lose himself in his thoughts quite easily there as a youth. Just watching over the calm waters had done a lot to soothe him as a youth.

“Eileen, that sounds great.” Vance replied, stepping out to the porch and locking his door behind him. “I actually haven't had time to go down there yet. Imagine it's still more or less the same. I hope anyways.”
PMEmailYIM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
New Poll

Our Affiliates
Skin coded by Ethereal for exclusive use on Summers Past
We are a Harvest Moon RP not affiliated with Harvest Moon, Story of Seasons, or Bokujō Monogatari - these series belong to their respective owners.