GROUP: Administrator

Awards: 34

Rep: 22 pts

user posted image
Honor LaRouche
Spring 6, Year 3 • Late Mornings • Sunny
"Some people long for a life that is simple and planned"

user posted image

Rowan had been adjusting well to life with Honor and Aramis, or at least, that was how Honor felt. He seemed to be getting use to a life with parents that actually cared, and he was even doing well with Adelaide. He was going to be a great older brother to her.

Rowan had informed her of an art history project he had to do, so she thought it would be a great idea for her to take him to Bellissimo. She loved going to the museum, but she hadn’t been in a while because she was often spending her free time with Adelaide, and the last few weeks she had been helping Rowan adjust to his life with the LaRouches.

They walked into the museum, Honor pushing Addy in a front facing stroller. “So remind me what the project is again?” she said to Rowan. “There’s a lot of pieces here so you shouldn’t have any problem completing the assignment.”

user posted image
"But I'd follow you to the great unknown"
Outfit • Tag: Tanuki
PMWebsite
^
Tanuki
 Posted: Feb 10 2018, 06:52 AM

Why do you write like you need it to survive?

GROUP: Moderator

Awards: 26

Rep: 20 pts

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
Spring 6th, year 3|Late Morning|Sunny|Belle

Rowan had never really liked school. There had been no purpose to it while he lived with his fosters, they weren't ever proud of his achievements, and he resented the fact that a bad grade had usually gotten him hit. He wasn't in danger of any of that anymore, but it didn't make him like school more. No, it was the same old, same old, and he couldn't find much of a need to care about it. But he had a project upcoming with no idea what to do for it.

And that was why he had told Honor. He may not have liked school, but he also didn't want to upset honor because he wasn't doing well in classes. He didn't want her to think he was a failure, he could do things when he tried, but he needed to find the drive. And maybe Honor was the answer to that. Art History, it wasn't a class he liked, but he had to do it, and Honor had been more than happy to take him down to the Museum when he mentioned he had no idea what to do for it.

"I have to pick a piece and write about it." He answered groggily. He had wanted to sleep in today, but Honor wasn't having out, going as far as to raise the blinds in his room while he was still under the blanket. He was still getting used to having someone like Honor as a motherly figure. It wasn't like it was a bad thing, quite the opposite, but it was a different world for Rowan after his fosters had nearly made him forget what having people who actually cared for you was like. "But everything in here just looks like....stuff to me." He admitted, taking another glance around. "I don't see anything interesting about them, so I don't know what to write about."

#BDB23E

PM
^
Belle
 Posted: Feb 11 2018, 04:29 PM

"I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."

user posted image
Honor LaRouche

user posted image

Honor loved the museum, and she loved the art pieces. She liked to try and see if she could tell what the artist was feeling while they were working on that piece. Some were easier to others.

“Well that sounds easy enough,” Honor said. There were quite a few pieces that she loved. Maybe they would be interesting to Rowan as well. “Sometimes, it’s not about the piece itself, but the story behind the piece that makes it interesting,” she told him. “Here, follow me.”

She led him over to the next room which housed numerous Van Gogh paintings. She stopped in front of one of his most famous pieces, “The Starry Night.” “See, everyone knows this painting. Now, most know that this was the view out of his window at the asylum he admitted himself to, but what most people don’t know is he had been experiencing hallucinations. He didn’t even remember painting it and he thought it was a failed painting. Now it’s one of his most famous works.”

user posted image
PMWebsite
^
Tanuki
 Posted: Feb 12 2018, 10:46 AM

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

Rowan knew how much Honor liked the art pieces here at the museum because she had been talking about it on their way there. Though he wanted to see what she saw in them, when he looked at them they just looked like scraps of things put together and called a sculpture, and some were just very blatantly blobs on paper. How exactly was he supposed to write anything about things like that without running out of material after the first sentence?

"I don't know about that, but I'll trust you on that one." Rowan said when she said that it was more about the story than the piece itself, though he sounded skeptical, he followed after her as he said he would. Maybe a story would at least give him more to write about. "So where are we going?" He asked as they continued down the hall, following just behind his adoptive mother, not quite sure what to be looking at.

Swirls on canvas as they came to a painting Rowan read as "The Starry Night" It was one he had heard of, but never really tried looking into because he didn't care too much for it. But he listened to Honor as she gave him a bit of the background on it. Maybe that was a little bit interesting. "I didn't think people could admit themselves to asylums." He said when he looked over to Honor again. "Did he pain anything else? How did he manage to do this is an Asylum? Isn't everyone put in straight jackets?" The boy had clearly never been taught about Asylums.

#BDB23E

PM
^
Belle
 Posted: Feb 14 2018, 11:59 AM

user posted image
Honor LaRouche

user posted image

Honor led Rowan to the Van Gogh exhibit. There were a lot of paintings in this room, since Van Gogh had made a number of art pieces that he had deemed inadequate but now were worth millions.

Honor smiled when Rowan began to ask questions, because in her mind, questions meant an interest. She knew his foster parents hadn’t given a rats ass about his education, or his well being in general, but she was determined to help him blossom into the man she knew he could grow up to be.

“You can admit yourself to an asylum. Usually it’s a patient’s friends or family that wants them admitted, but it's always better for the patient to admit themselves willingly, especially if they have a manic history, which Van Gogh did. Before the asylum he was plagued by voices, and had even cut off his own ear,” she told him, not going too deep into the how or why.

“Not everyone is put into straightjackets,” she told him. “It’s not a humane method of treatment, especially since it doesn’t help to treat anything, and often only used in understaffed hospitals, or in severe cases where they believe a patient is a threat to himself or others.”

She motioned to the other paintings in the room. “These are all his. Just a collection of his work.” She pointed to a nearby work of a man with a bandage around his head. “This is a self portrait he did not long after the incident with his ear.”

user posted image
PMWebsite
^
Tanuki
 Posted: Feb 15 2018, 07:14 PM

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

He seemed interested when she started talking about the Asylum and how it worked. "My fosters used to watch this movie about an Asylum, and they were all in straight jackets. Either that or they were just limping around like they were going to fall over any minute." He explained, eyebrow, making gestures with his hands as he did so. "I always wondered how anyone can live their life stuck in a thing like that." It was the times when he was learning that the more innocent side of Rowan showed.

"I know someone who belongs in a white jacket." He mentioned with crossed arms as he looked around at the many paintings that covered the room. He seemed to come back to something, and raised an eyebrow. "Wait, he cut off his own ear? Why would he do that?!" he asked, seeming genuinely surprised. "Was he stupid?"

He looked at the painting Honor had pointed out, and his eyes shifted to a painting near by, of a crippled looking man sitting in a chair with a defeated look to him. The plaque read: At Eternity's Gate. He blinked as he looked at it. How did paintings speak to people. "What's this one about?" he asked Honor, pointing at it.

#BDB23E

PM
^
Belle
 Posted: Feb 16 2018, 07:49 PM

user posted image
Honor LaRouche

user posted image

“Movies aren’t always the truth, Rowan,” she said with a soft smile. “Unfortunately some people do need to be restrained because they’re such a threat to themselves, but it’s no way to live. That’s why it’s important that they can get proper treatment to help them.”

Honor wasn’t surprised at Rowan’s shock at Van Gogh’s mutilation of himself. Self-mutilation was hard to comprehend and was a terrifying concept. “He wasn’t stupid at all, just ill. No one really knows exactly why he cut off his own ear, but a friend of Van Gogh’s, Gauguin, claimed that he and Van Gogh had been quarreling not long before the incident. Historians suspect that because of Van Gogh’s manic behavior, he may have been hearing voices, which led to him mutilating his ear.” She looked at the painting again. “He actually wrapped the ear up and had it delivered to a woman. They found him unconscious the next morning and of course, he didn’t remember the episode at all.”

Adelaide started to fuss then. She had been crawling all over the house recently, and sitting in the stroller for too long had started to bore here. Honor came around the front, lifting her out of the stroller. “I know. You wanna go explore, but you can’t do that here.” She grabbed the toy keys from the stroller. “Here you go sweetie,” she said handing them to her to distract her.

Rowan asked about another painting and she walked over to take a look at it. “Ah, At Eternity’s Gate,” Honor said, recognizing the work. “This is actually one of Van Gogh’s latest works, finished just two months before his death. At first glance, it appears to be a grieving old man, but the title helps to understand Van Gogh a bit more. Van Gogh was often depressed and felt hopeless, but by giving this work this title, it showed that even in his worst moments of despair, he held tightly to his faith.”

user posted image
PMWebsite
^
Tanuki
 Posted: Yesterday at 01:59 pm

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

He glanced around when she mentioned that movies weren't always the truth and he cleared his throat. "I know...that's just the only way its been shown on TV." He sounded almost shy, slightly pink in the cheeks though he seemed to get over it quickly once Honor started talking about Van Gogh again. Mentally Ill...and he had gotten into an arguement with his friend. Rowan couldn't say he knew all that much about mental illness, just that it wasn't something easy to fight. He almost felt a little bad calling the man stupid, but he was also dead now, so he supposed it wasn't exactly like he could be upset or offended by his comment.

"I...don't know much about girls." He admitted when she said he had not only cut off his ear, but given it too a woman. "But I don't think...your ear makes a really good present." He mused, half to his Adoptive mother and half to himself. "I guess it depends on the person, but if she liked it maybe she should have been locked up." He nodded to himself. Yeah, that was right.

They were interrupted when Adelaide began fussing about, and Rowan watched as Honor soothed her. "Maybe after this we can go to the park," He suggested, looking at his adoptive little sister as she began to settle. "If you brought the blanket she can crawl around, maybe." He mentioned, scratching his cheek in a sheepish manner.

Together, they looked at the artwork he had pointed out, and Honor explained that it was done just before his death. Rowan didn't know what it was about this painting that interested him so much. "I can't really put a reason to it Honor," He admitted as he stared at the painting. "But I feel like I...almost relate to this somehow. Is that a bad thing?"

#BDB23E

PM
^
Belle
 Posted: Yesterday at 07:35 pm

user posted image
Honor LaRouche

user posted image

“No it really doesn’t,” she said with a slight laugh. “I don’t think the woman much appreciated receiving the ear but there’s not much out there about her reaction to it.” Though Honor imagined most people would react with horror upon receiving someone’s ear delivered to them.

Honor soothed Adelaide as she had gotten tired of just sitting in the stroller. She wanted to explore the building, but Honor wasn’t about to let her climb around on dirty museum floors. “That’s a good idea, Rowan,” she said when he had mentioned the park. “How about that Addy. You wanna chase your brother around the park later?” she teased.

Honor put a hand on Rowan’s shoulder after he felt he related to the painting, the other, still holding Addy. “Of course not. Van Gogh was a sad and lonely man who took his comfort in his work. I can see why you might feel a bit of a kinship with him,” she told him. “Maybe you should use this painting for your project. Feeling connected to the painting will make the work easier. And who knows, you might learn something new about yourself,” she said with a smile.

user posted image
PMWebsite
^
Tanuki
 Posted: Today at 08:44 am

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

Rowan was still staring at the painting when he felt Honor's hand on his shoulder. Lonely was a word that had been so hard for him to understand all this time. But maybe that had something to do with why he related so well to this painting. "I guess so." He answered as he continued looking at it. He could remember being in that position a lot, hunched over and unsure what he was supposed to do with himself next. He wondered how many other people felt that way.

She suggested using for his project, and he nodded quietly. "I think I will. This is seriously the first time I can tell you I feel like I understand what I'm looking at." He mentioned as he turned back to look at Honor. "Thanks Honor, I don't think I would have known what I wanted for my report if you hadn't shown me all this." He said, clearly genuinely happy with what he had decided on.

"Did he do any sculptures? Or was he just about paint?" He questioned, glancing around the room. He had seen sculptures before, but they usually didn't take, and for him they just looked like jumbled heaps of nothing. "if not, can we get some lunch? I'm really hungry." Rowan was getting a little better at letting Honor and Aramis know when he wanted things.

#BDB23E

PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
New Poll

Our Affiliates
RPG-D deep in the meadow {warriors} Convergence Sengoku Horizon Reluctant Heroes
Skin coded by Ethereal for exclusive use on Summers Past
We are a Harvest Moon RP not affiliated with Harvest Moon, Story of Seasons, or Bokujō Monogatari - these series belong to their respective owners.