So That's What Brains Are For..., Grant Burr (Pocomoke) & Jonas
Syn
 Posted: Feb 11 2018, 03:47 PM

Chicken

GROUP: Pink Leaf

Awards: 5

Rep: 2 pts

Spring 15, Y3 | 12:35 PM
The drive had been long yet uneventful. Jonas had made the trek from Ioana Valley to Westhaven City in his Jensen 541 in an attempt to knock out a bunch of necessities.

First, he needed to get his car checked out. Not having a garage in the rural mess that was the Valley had done a real number on his exterior.

Second, he needed to visit a library where he could find information about his father's profession without raising any eyebrows from people living in the aforementioned rural mess.

And third, the library was on the university campus. There would be parties. Jonas would get drunk. So it would be.

The inspection at the mechanic's hadn't taken very long at all. The man had been excited to work on a Jensen, a relatively new model that screamed luxury, but did not have much to report on the car's actual functionality. He agreed with Jonas that the paint would need to be redone, and they made an appointment for the summer to do just that.

Now, Jonas pulled up into the parking lot for the university. He asked a passing student for directions to the library and soon he found himself inside a building that he had likely never once visited in his youth. Libraries! Who had time for those when there were so many fun things to be doing instead?

But Jonas knew his weaknesses, and finding what he was looking for in a vast compendium of written works was definitely one of those. He would need help. And so Jonas marched his way to a reception area where a man stood, looking like he belonged. "Hey man," Jonas said as he approached.

He looked around, unsure how to begin. "I'm looking for... Well, I need help finding some books. Do you work here?"
PM
^
Pocomoke
 Posted: Feb 13 2018, 09:01 PM

"Reality is an illusion. The universe is a hologram. Buy go

GROUP: Green Leaf

Awards: 21

Rep: 8 pts

Spring 15th Year 3
Outfit

It was just another day at the library. Things were finally started to get back into motion now that school was picking up, and the man found more and more students needing his attention. Grant didn't mind, especially since that was his job and it gave him something to do.

"Hey man. I'm looking for... Well, I need help finding some books. Do you work here?"

"Yeah, sure thing." Grant told the man as he turned to face the direction that the voice was from. He was surprised to see that it wasn't some college kid looking for a book for a report. Instead he got some older guy who obviously hadn't been in a library in a long time.

"So are you looking for any book in particular, Mr...?" Grant asking, setting the book he had been holding to the side and giving the man his full attention.

Syn
PMEmailWebsite
^
Syn
 Posted: Feb 16 2018, 03:20 PM

Chicken

Spring 15, Y3 | 12:36 PM
Jonas' spidey-senses for librarians was apparently alive and well. That was definitely a talent he possessed. He gave the librarian a once-over, smiled, and then offered his own name. "Brantley. I'm looking for..."

He froze now, unsure how best to describe it. He hadn't rehearsed this interaction at all an was now a little unclear on exactly what he was seeking. Jonas pondered the question for a moment, finally shrugging with resignation. "I'm hoping to learn a bit more about my father's trade. He worked with investment portfolios in the oil industry but put a lot of that gold into real estate," Jonas explained.

"I was hoping you might have some books that would give me a running start in learning some tricks. Point me in the right direction and I'll be fine," Jonas said with a wave of his hand. "Or you could help me," he added hopefully.
PM
^
Pocomoke
 Posted: Feb 18 2018, 12:35 AM

"I'm hoping to learn a bit more about my father's trade. He worked with investment portfolios in the oil industry but put a lot of that gold into real estate. I was hoping you might have some books that would give me a running start in learning some tricks. Point me in the right direction and I'll be fine. Or you could help me."

Grant nodded in acknowledgement. Brantley? Why did that name sound so familiar? He did say that his father worked on investments, so perhaps he had overheard it on the news at some point. He didn't try to dwell on it for too long, instead shifting gears to the man's request.

"I think I might know where they are..." Grant began, grabbing a binder from under the desk and pulling it out. He began to shift through the pages of it, scanning each line to find what he was looking for. It didn't take long before he came across the section that would tell him where in the library books on the oil and gold industry were.

"Here we are. I can show you where it is. Sometimes it is hard to find this section." Grant informed him, walking out behind the desk and gesturing for the man to follow him as he began to make his way through the library. As someone who worked there, he didn't take long to find the section and point to the books that he thought would help the man.

"Here you are. These should help you." Grant explained.

Syn
PMEmailWebsite
^
Syn
 Posted: Feb 26 2018, 02:27 AM

Chicken

Spring 15, Y3 | 12:38 PM
He followed the librarian dutifully. Jonas knew that he would be helpless if he tried to embark on this academic journey himself. Why turn down free help? That was the best kind of help. Although he would not have been opposed to shaking his wallet at passerbys if there hadn't been someone around to give him a hand.

When they arrived at the section that the librarian told him would be helpful, he merely gawked at the selection. There were a lot of books here. More than he'd ever read in his entire life. Which were actually relevant? Which would tell Jonas what he needed to know?

He looked hopefully at Grant and flashed him a compelling smile. "Thanks, but... maybe you can help me with picking the right book." Jonas stepped forward to run a finger along the bar codes taped onto the spines of the books, gazing somewhat absentmindedly at the various titles.

"I have meetings coming up with potential sellers. Real estate. And I'll be real with you here... I have no idea what to do. Does this place have any books on..." Jonas trailed off, trying to think of the right term. "I think they call it 'closing'? Yeah. Closing. Got any books about that?"
PM
^
Pocomoke
 Posted: Feb 28 2018, 01:51 PM

When the two men arrived, Grant looked over at Jonas to see that he looked completely overwhelmed. The University Library was quite large, and it tended to be difficult to navigate. Even breaking up the collection into their sections still left some extremely confused.

"Thanks, but... maybe you can help me with picking the right book."

"Sure thing, man. What are you looking for?"

"I have meetings coming up with potential sellers. Real estate. And I'll be real with you here... I have no idea what to do. Does this place have any books on... I think they call it 'closing'? Yeah. Closing. Got any books about that?"

"Closing... Hm..." Grant began, turning towards the shelves, scanning each book spine for the books that the other man required. It didn't take him long until he found what he was looking for. Grant grabbed one book at a time, handing them off to Jonas until he had five of them. Then Grant turned back and smiled.

"That should be a good start. If you need anything else, I'll be at the front desk." he said, walking off and back towards the front of the library.

Syn
PMEmailWebsite
^
Syn
 Posted: Mar 5 2018, 05:23 PM

Chicken

Spring 15, Y3 | 12:40 PM
He was trying to leave Jonas! That wouldn’t do. Jonas needed help. He was vulnerable, and alone, and needed a man with dashing good looks to rescue him for he was not a strong, independent woman who didn’t need no man. Jonas needed man! This man! The man with a plan.

Jonas cleared his throat. ”Ah,” he let out quickly, trying to stop the librarian’s retreat. ”Do you know anything about this stuff?” Jonas asked hopefully.

It was unlikely, but worth a shot. If Jonas could avoid actually needing to read and learn anything… well, he had to try! He deserved the help, really.

PM
^
Pocomoke
 Posted: Mar 9 2018, 02:16 PM

Grant went to leave the man to his books, but before he could Jonas called back out to him. He quickly turned around to see the man asking him what he knew about closing deals on trade. The man thought for a moment, and then shrugged.

"I mean, I know a little, but not much more than what you could find in one of those books." Grant said, gesturing to the shelves of books around them.

"Closing deals, making compromises... That's all about knowing people. Now that is something I'm not very good at. Sorry." he said with another shrug. Grant had never been good with people. Sure, he could hold a conversation, but any tough ones, there was no way. Wait a minute...

"One moment." Grant said, holding up a finger as he walked off. He made his way a few shelves down to another section of the library, picking up a couple books off the shelf before heading back to Jonas. He dropped the pile on the table in front of the man, smiling.

"Now that should help you."

Syn
PMEmailWebsite
^
Syn
 Posted: Mar 9 2018, 02:52 PM

Chicken

Spring 15, Y3 | 12:42 PM
Jonas eagerly listened to the librarian's sage advice, only to realize that the man had none. How disappointing. He tried not to let it show. For just a moment, his hopes were raised once more when the man stalked off to go do something.

Maybe he'd come back a changed man. A man who knew a thing or two about this stuff and that could save Jonas from needing to read all these books.

But then the librarian returned, and he returned with simply more books. Jonas looked down at the wide selection that was being presented to him and frowned.

"More books?" he asked meekly.
PM
^
Pocomoke
 Posted: Mar 11 2018, 01:34 PM

"More books?"

"You act like you aren't in a library full of books." Grant joked with a small laugh. "Besides, I'm a librarian. I spend all my time reading, not socializing. If you want to learn how to do something, the books are the best place to start." he added. That was where he found most of his knowledge, in books. He had even picked up a few books on social cues and such for himself, as sad as it was. Maybe they would also help this man as well.

"Well, good luck, man. If you decided to take any with you, don't forget to check them out with me first. Alright?" he explained. Grant turned around and gave Jonas a back hand wave before heading back to the front desk to grab his cart. He saw a few books laying around that needed to be returned to their proper shelves.

Syn
PMEmailWebsite
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
New Poll

Our Affiliates
Skin coded by Ethereal for exclusive use on Summers Past
We are a Harvest Moon RP not affiliated with Harvest Moon, Story of Seasons, or Bokujō Monogatari - these series belong to their respective owners.