GROUP: Purple Leaf

Awards: 10

Rep: 4 pts

Elijah Miller
Date: Winter 11
Weather: Sunny
Outfit: Here
Tag: strawberry

Elijah woke up that morning bitterly cold. The day was clear, bright, and freezing and Elijah's drafty cottage did nothing to keep the cold away. To top it off, his fire had died completely during the night, leaving him unprotected from the chill. His blankets and the quilt his mother had sent him in the Autumn did little to preserve his body heat.

He dragged himself out of bed, relighting the fire before making a pot of coffee and turning on the radio to listen to the weather report. At least it didn't look like it was going to snow any more today. Small blessings, he supposed. And near the end of the weather report, the meteorologist mentioned that the lake was completely frozen over, perfect for skating or ice fishing.

Ice skating sounded like a good way to pass the day, and the activity would keep him warm despite the cold. It would be more fun with friends, though, and Elijah thought for a moment about who to invite. Despite having been in Ioana for some time, he had few people he could call 'friend'. He mostly saw the villagers in a professional capacity, barring Jaime and Romulea. Miss Rom, he reasoned, was newer to the area and more in need of companionship. She lived alone, while Jaime had Evelyn and his sister to keep him company.

So once he'd finished his breakfast and put out the fire, he grabbed his skates and set off towards Wildflower, intent on asking Romulea to accompany him on his ice skating venture. The walk was just as bitterly cold as his house had been this morning, the wind cutting through his clothing and nipping at his nose and cheeks, turning them red. But as he walked, he began to warm up a little as his blood started pumping. By the time he was at Miss Romulea's door, he was almost comfortable.

He knocked on the door, stepping back and waiting patiently for her to answer. He realized that he didn't even know if Rom had a pair of skates. He would feel awfully foolish if she didn't, as he wasn't sure any of the stores in town sold them. And new skates were no fun to break in.
PM
^
strawberry
 Posted: Jan 31 2017, 04:40 PM

crab honeybutt

GROUP: Blue Leaf

Awards: 16

Rep: 5 pts

user posted image
winter 11th • outfit • Elijah, Hera

After a few days of snow and clouds, the sunshine finally broke through, though it did nothing to alleviate the cold that had settled in. Rom found herself sinking into a depression as the winter season wore on. Fall had brought nothing but rocks and roots and more leaves than she could handle. She had hoped to have a flourishing garden by the end of Fall. Instead, she had only cultivated callouses and cuts. She had managed to clear a good chunk of land for a garden, but it had taken her longer than anticipated and she would have to wait for Spring to begin anything.

By the time Winter had come around, she knew for certain that she had done something stupid and was in over her head. But she refused to admit defeat, even if the bright future she had hoped for had gone dark. She tried to see the beauty in her old farmhouse, even if she kept most of the doors closed and the cracks underneath the doors lined with old towels. She mostly stuck to the kitchen and the living room.

There was no central heating system in the house (nor cooling, as she had found out during the summer), and her bedroom was too cold. She had taken to sleeping on the old couch in front of the fireplace, with a fire going at all times. It was a hideous old thing, the couch. It was a dark red with an oversized floral pattern. But it had been free, and it was comfortable, so she was grateful for it. And she was quite proud of herself for chopping her own firewood. It had taken her days to chop down an old, dead tree. She had contemplated buying some from the local carpenter, but she felt that would be giving in.

Not to mention the fact that her money had been running low. She had expected to have a wealth of vegetables and fruits that she could have canned. Instead, she was mostly living off cans of vegetables she bought at the supermarket, along with beans and rice. Her sister had been sending her money with a weekly letter. Rom had protested strongly at first, but as her money slowly began to trickle away, she accepted it quietly. It pained her each time she pocketed it, but without it she would no doubt have to move back to Westhaven.

Her birthday had been a small respite. Her sister came to Ioana and Rom had baked a vanilla cake and decorated it with strawberry icing. They spent the day talking, and Ellie had gotten her a book (along with money that Rom had been reluctant to accept). At the end of the day, though, when Ellie had left and she was sitting alone on her couch in front of the fire, she had felt more alone than she had before Ellie left.

That morning, when the sun broke through, she tried to make herself feel a little better. She had a cup of hot tea and a slice of cake for breakfast and curled up on the couch, settling underneath her comforter with her book. Perhaps she would don some weatherproof clothes and make her way into town. She knew it would do her some good to get out and mingle with people, not to mention get a little bit more food in case the weather took a turn for the worse. Just as she set the bookmark into her book, there was a knock on her door. She jumped, dropping the book onto the floor. She pressed her hand to her chest, heart fluttering from the surprise. "Coming!" she shouted, picking up the book and placing it on the couch.

She pulled her cardigan closer around her and walked to the door, opening it to find none other than Elijah Miller, the friendly stationmaster who had first greeted her when she came to Ioana. his cheeks and nose were both red, no doubt from the cold. "Elijah! Hi!" she said, holding the door all the way open. "Please, come in! It's freezing outside."
PMWebsite
^
Hera
 Posted: Feb 6 2017, 08:22 PM

Walking the line between discontent and disaster

GROUP: Purple Leaf

Awards: 10

Rep: 4 pts

Elijah Miller
Date: Winter 11
Weather: Sunny
Outfit: Here
Tag: strawberry

Elijah took a look around what he could see of the farm from the porch. It looked a cleaner and clearer than it had the last time he'd been through. That might be because it was winter and things would naturally be more barren, but he liked to think that Rom had played a significant part in clearing out the worst of it. She'd been working very hard, he knew, and he hoped it would pay off for her come the Spring. And if the planting season came and she wasn't prepared, he would gladly lend a hand.

He smiled at Romulea as she answered the door, stepping into the house after kicking the snow off of his shoes. ”Thank you, Rom. It's good to see you! I came to ask if you might like to come skating with me. I've been informed that the lake is frozen over enough to hold weight. I thought a little light exercise would keep us warm and our blood pumping in this frigid weather.” He told her, holding up the ice skates that he'd brought along with him.

”I didn't know if you had a pair yourself, and I'll admit that I'm not sure who in the Valley sells them.” He said, a sheepish smile on his face. If he had walked all the way over here and Romulea didn't have any skates, or know where to buy some, or have the money to do so, he would feel quite silly. He reasoned, though, that if she couldn't skate they could still go for a walk, or just go into town. Anything to get her off of the farm and him out of his house.

”I noticed that you'd cleared more space before the Winter set in. I'm sure this Spring will be a profitable one for you. And, of course, whenever you need help I'm not too far and every day but Friday I'm free.” He reminded her. He just wanted to make sure she knew that she always had a friend in him.
PM
^
strawberry
 Posted: Feb 9 2017, 01:06 PM

crab honeybutt

GROUP: Blue Leaf

Awards: 16

Rep: 5 pts

winter 11th • outfit • Elijah, Hera

Rom stood aside, letting Elijah pass into the house. She closed the door after him, tucking her hands under her arms. She nodded as he talked, looking at the ice skates he held up with raised eyebrows. She certainly hadn't been expecting that, but it was a pleasant surprise. "It's nice to see you too!" she told him as she stepped into the living room, picking up the comforter and folding it before draping it over the back of the couch.

She gestured to it as he continued talking, then stoked the fire a little to get it going a little more. "I think I might have a pair tucked away in a box somewhere. It sounds fun! I don't think I've been over to the lake yet," she said, standing by the fire with her hands stuck out to warm them.

She was glad to hear that he had noticed the work she had done on the farm. It felt like she'd barely done anything at all, but perhaps it would all work out once spring arrived. "I certainly hope so. It feels like I've barely even scratched the surface." She rubbed the back of her neck, feeling embarrassed that she had allowed herself to dive headfirst into a situation where she had no idea about what to do. She blushed a little and crossed her arms across her chest, staring into the fire.

"I might have to take you up on that. At the very least, if you have any information on where to buy seeds and tools locally, that would be wonderful. I'd rather not have to order any from Westhaven if I could help it..." She trailed off and glanced up at him, then looked at his skates. "Anyway, feel free to make yourself at home while I go rummage around for my skates. I can put a kettle on for tea first if you'd like a cup to warm yourself up," she offered, placing some big branches on the fire.
PMWebsite
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
New Poll

Our Affiliates
Skin coded by Ethereal for exclusive use on Summers Past
We are a Harvest Moon RP not affiliated with Harvest Moon, Story of Seasons, or Bokujō Monogatari - these series belong to their respective owners.