Tanuki
 Posted: Jun 5 2018, 01:29 PM

Sneaky Trash Panda at your service

GROUP: Moderator

Awards: 32

Rep: 25 pts

strawberry playing Cyrus
Date: Summer 5th, Year 3

She knew he wasn’t going to stay for the long, but she actually didn’t want her home to look like a mess when he arrived nevertheless. After all, Cyrus would have to walk through the house to get to the yard so it may as well have been tidy. Not that she had never tidied up before, she did often, but sometimes it got hard when she was straining just to read the lines of the small directions on cleaning solution labels, so she may have been slacking just a little more than she wanted to be.

Her Hedgehog running about in a hamster ball seemed contented to be out of his enclosure and Eileen lifted her foot as he ran underneath her. She was fine leaving him out knowing he wouldn’t get into too much trouble in his ball. She had placed towels on the underside of the couch in order to make sure he wouldn’t get his ball stuck there in an attempt to run under it again.

She heard her phone ring and made her way over to it, picking it up as she smoothed a piece of hair away from her face. “Hello?”

“Honey, your father and I were just about to head out to the carnival, are you sure there isn’t anything you need?” she heard her mother’s voice on the other line, but when she thought about it, there was nothing she needed that she hadn’t picked up from the shop on the way home. “No mom, I’m alright, thanks for asking though.” She said. Her mom rambled on for a little bit about how maybe she should head to the carnival too, but she knew she probably wouldn’t go. The lights and people blurring together later that night (which her mom stated was the best time for a young person like her to go) would be too much for her, even if it sounded fun.

Just as she hung up she heard her doorbell, and she hurried over to the door, straightening out the sundress she was wearing before opening the door. “Hey Cyrus,” she greeted, moving aside to allow him to come in. “The Garden is just through the Kitchen over there.” She said, silently wondering if she should have invited him for tea or something first.
PM
^
strawberry
 Posted: Jun 10 2018, 08:16 PM

crab honeybutt

GROUP: Purple Leaf

Awards: 12

Rep: 5 pts

user posted image

summer 5th • outfit • Tanuki

Despite yesterday's rain, the first day of the summer carnival was bright and sunny. Of course, he wasn't really planning on going to the carnival. He had work, for one thing, and even when he closed up shop he typically just headed home to relax. Most of his friends from college were from different towns, and while he counted some of the villagers among his friends, he never thought to ask them to go out somewhere. He felt that if they wanted to go somewhere with him, then they would do the asking, and that it would be best to not bother them.

The problem of going alone was another thing. He supposed it would be possible to have fun just by himself, but carnivals were always better when other people tagged along to ride the rides with or to cheer on at the games. A more outgoing, braver man might go alone just to meet new people, but Cyrus didn't consider himself either of those.

So there he was, Sunday afternoon, heading over to Eileen's house to check out her garden rather than heading over to the carnival to check out what had been set up this year. He arrived a little after 3, trusty notebook and pen in pocket to jot down any notes on Eileen's garden along with a few vials to take soil samples from various spots. He spent a few moments clearing his throat and smoothing out his clothes before he rang the doorbell.

Eileen soon greeted him, stepping aside to allow him entry. "Hey," he replied with a grin and slight nod. Cyrus glanced in the direction of the kitchen for a moment before turning back to her. "All right. If you want, you can just leave me to it. It's getting pretty warm out." Personally, he didn't mind the heat, but some people were just a little sensitive to it. If Eileen was that type of person, he didn't want her out there in the midday sun if she didn't have to be.
PMWebsite
^
Tanuki
 Posted: Jun 11 2018, 03:21 PM

Date: Sunday, Summer 5th, Year 3

She let him past her, just after he had headed into the Kitchen, she lifted her foot to allow the small rolling hedgehog passage to the other side of the room they were leaving, Teaco seemed perfectly happy to go around in circles in the same room. He said that she could just leave him alone to do what he had to, and for a moment she considered it. After all, what if she got in the way? But she decided that wouldn’t be polite, and she shook her head and smiled. “Oh no, that’s okay, I can come out too, move anything if it’s in the way.” She said.

“I uh, would you like something to drink? I know it’s a bit of a walk to get here. I have some Lemonade, Water, Flavored Water…though I’ll be honest it kind of just tastes like really aggressive water trying to be juice, it’s strange.” She couldn’t help but laugh a little bit, having been quite surprised when she tried it for the first time. She unlatched the door to the backyard and took her sunglasses from the counter, placing them on before heading out with Cyrus to the admittedly dismal backyard.

“This is it,” she said, sounding almost a little bit ashamed. “I’ve wanted to do something with it for a while, like I told you at the store, but I just…didn’t know where to start.” She explained. “I think the most pretty thing is the lights from the carnival at night here in the summer. It’s very faint but if you’re standing out here you can see it from just over the ridge, Loachapple Fields isn’t so far.” She said, although what she didn’t tell him was that all the lights did for her now was blur together over the Horizon.

strawberry
PM
^
strawberry
 Posted: Jun 14 2018, 09:10 PM

crab honeybutt

user posted image

summer 5th • outfitTanuki

Cyrus looked back momentarily at the sound of something rolling around on the floor. Rolling about inside was a hedgehog. He grinned at the little creature before turning back and continuing his way to the back door. He thought, not for the first time, that he would like a pet. He'd always liked birds, but they needed a lot of companionship and he didn't know if he'd be able to take a bird with him to work or not. Cats didn't seem to mind being by themselves, and a cat would be good at keeping pests away at the store if he could somehow leash-train one. He'd always been a little bit wary of dogs since his mom's friend had brought her loud, bite-happy Pomeranian over once and it had cornered him in their living room. Of course, he knew not to judge an entire species just based off one misbehaved animal, but he'd have to do some more thinking before he decided on one. Perhaps he could visit that cat cafe Finn Hauser had opened a while back...

Either way, those were thoughts for a different day. Today was all about Eileen's garden. He nodded once when she said she'd come out with him, then nodded once more when she offered him a drink. Now that she mentioned something, he realized there was a bit of sweat about his collar and on his back. He blushed a little, hoping his deodorant was still holding up. He chuckled a little at her joke, though it seemed a little nervous, before replying. "If it's not too much trouble, a glass of ice water would be great."

Soon they were out in the backyard. Cyrus's eyebrows raised a little as he surveyed the yard. They would definitely have their work cut out for him. But it seemed like there were a few nice sunny spots here and there along with the shade, so once they got everything into shape, she'd have a lot of room for variety.

He turned to her, hands on his hips, listening intently as she spoke. "Well... We'll just start with taking some more soil samples and dealing with that. And while those are getting processed, we'll get all these weeds yanked out and the earth tilled. Once the samples come back and we know exactly what we're dealing with, we can start planning what will go where." Hopefully by next summer, her garden could rival the colors of the summer carnival, even if it was less exciting to be out among the plants than it was riding the rickety roller coaster and other rides that had been set up.
PMWebsite
^
Tanuki
 Posted: Jun 15 2018, 02:17 PM

He asked for ice water, and she nodded. “Oh, that’s no problem, I’ll be right out with it.” She promised, returning to her kitchen for a moment to fetch a cold glass of water. Teaco was still rolling around, a good sign he hadn’t gotten caught under anything. She always had an eye on him, even when she was outside, if she wasn’t careful he had the tendency to roll right out of the door, over the barrier of it and into the dead garden.

She walked back outside and offered the water to Cyrus. “Here you go, I didn’t expect it to be so balmy today.” She mentioned, a little embarrassed by the state of the garden. Maybe she should have taken care of it sooner, before it had gotten into this state. She nodded. “Sure, do whatever you need to, and just let me know if you need help with anything.” She said, not wanting to put all the work of it on him. She liked to do her equal part where she was allowed, and she was still upset she couldn’t do as much at the shop as she used to.

She glanced over at the set up in the horizon, not yet lighting up, but the day was getting to the point where they would have to start. She almost wished that she could go, but she didn’t think she could handle it by herself. For a moment, she thought about asking Cyrus if he’d like to go when they were done here, but maybe that was too sudden? Instead, she opted to ask something else. “I’ve always wondered if it’s the same for other stores as it is for us during Carvial Season, do you see less customers, or more? My dad always thinks the Tourism will bring in more customers but it usually doesn’t.” she hoped it wasn’t a strange question but she was genuinely curious.

strawberry
PM
^
strawberry
 Posted: Jun 17 2018, 12:07 PM

crab honeybutt

user posted image

Cyrus headed outside while she went to get him some water. While she was inside, he crouched down and inspected the dead weeds. He touched the soil. It was a little dry, but not overly so, which was to be expected. This summer was supposed to be a dry one. The weeds were yellowed, but that could have been any number of things. He hoped it was an easy fix for Eileen's sake. Not many people in Ioana had a lot of money any more, and something like toxic soil from too much pesticides or herbicides was an expensive fix if you wanted to do something more than just waiting it out.

He stood up, wiping his hand on his jeans, when he heard Eileen coming. He took the glass gratefully, giving her a small smile. "Thank you," he told her before taking a long drink. "It sure is heating up quickly. The tomatoes will love it, for sure," he replied with a chuckle. He took another sip then sat the glass down on the picnic table. "Guess I'm ready to get to work!" He stepped further out into the lawn, choosing a few spots to take samples from. He walked over to underneath the tree and crouched down, removing the dead weeds and grass to get at the soil. He wished he'd brought a little trowel.

He turned one of the vials upside down and plunged it into the ground, pulling it out with a tube of soil inside. He capped it off and put it away, taking out another vial. He headed to a spot in the middle of the yard, turning his head to Eileen as she started speaking. "Less, to be honest. My shop is more of a locals thing. I don't think tourists would really stop by unless it was to check out my plant inventory and see if I had anything different from their local shops." The middle of the season was always dead anyway. Most of his customers at that point were just coming in to buy fertilizer or something to help their garden keep growing. His busiest times were at the beginning and end of the season, when people were purchasing seeds and plants.

"You don't get much business then, either?" he asked as he stuck the second vial into the soil.
PMWebsite
^
Tanuki
 Posted: Jun 17 2018, 03:48 PM

Summer in Ioana usually started off a little bit cooler, and then got much hotter later on in the season. It was something a lot of the residents were used to. She looked at Cyrus when he mentioned the tomatoes and chuckled. “I do love the things the farmers here grow in the summer. My mom used to make her own ketchup out of the tomatoes she got from the farms, and these days I like making desserts with the Blackberries, and fruit salads.” She mentioned. Baking was something Eileen liked to do, and she often offered her baking to the customers of their parents shop while they waited for certain things to be done.

She nodded and stepped back to let Cyrus get to work. Somehow, she hoped she could be of use. She didn’t like sitting by while someone else did everything, but when it came to the soil samples, she knew she wouldn’t be able to do the things Cyrus was able to. She didn’t know soil like he did, so maybe it was best not to get in the way, in this case at least. She noticed he was picking around the weeds, and thought about it. “Uhm, Cyrus? I have a few tools for gardening on a little table in that shed there. Just in case…you know, I just uh…should have mentioned it earlier.” She said softly, even though she felt maybe she should have mentioned it earlier.

She glanced up at the sky as he worked, and explained that he didn’t exactly get much business from tourists, unless they were looking for something they didn’t have at their local shops. She nodded, “I guess I can make sense of that,” she mentioned when he was finished speaking. He asked about their business then, and she shook her head. “Sometimes, we get business from these people who want to come up with sudden proposals, or they’ve forgotten an anniversary gift or something, but some of them can be quite rude,” she explained, trying to find the words.

“They uh, don’t seem to realize rings take a while to make, as do well… Any other pieces of jewelry that we make.” She said. “So unless we already have it in stock, it won’t get done in one day, especially if they want something engraved and well…” she swallowed her breath, a light pink tinge to her cheeks as she realized this time she had been rambling. “It’s just uh…we get some sometimes, but not much more than usual.” She answered.

She didn’t know if she should ask as he was working, but for some reason, the urge to ask him to come to the Carnival with her was a little strong. Maybe she really did want to go, while she was still in early stages, she could see a lot more, even if the lights did blur together. But that same reason was also why she was afraid to go alone. “Hey um…C-Cyrus? I hope I’m not bothering you by asking but I was wondering um…once we’re done here if well…if you wanted to go to the carnival?” she said, clearing her throat. “Y-You know, with me? I just….think it could be….fun?” he hated being so nervous all the time.

strawberry
PM
^
strawberry
 Posted: Yesterday at 12:05 am

crab honeybutt

user posted image

"Blackberries are good! I've been thinking about adding some berry bushes and cane cuttings to the inventory. Wild blackberries are great, but I'd get some cultivars that are prickle-free and grow bigger berries." He'd been asked to order some blueberry bushes in the past, and some of his saplings weren't doing so great, so maybe next spring he'd switch out the least popular saplings for more popular berry bushes. "Speaking of which, we could get a couple arbors set up throughout the garden with prickle-free blackberries if you'd like. It'd be a good way to add 'taste' to a sensory garden."

Cyrus shook his head, though a little heat rose to his cheeks when she offered her tools for him to use. He felt slightly embarrased for not having asked, but he was just down to one vial now anyway. "N-nah. Th-thanks, though! I'm used to digging around with my hands," he replied with nervous chuckle.

He picked a spot in the far corner of her lawn for the last vial, glancing at Eileen occasionally as he walked over. "Ah, yeah. I guess a lot of those city folks are used to having jewelry stores where they've got a lot of pre-made stock on hand." He supposed he could understand the appeal. All you had to do was pick out a ring and get it sized. But he felt a custom-made ring was a lot better as far as proposals went. He felt most things were better if a little more love was put into them. "Just try not to pay them any mind, I guess. I'm sure your shop will always have loyal customers in Ioana." He supposed if he ever got lucky enough to find a girl, he'd purchase a ring from Eileen's family's shop.

He plunged the last vial into the earth, pulled it out, and looked it over for a moment before popping the top back on and putting it away. Aside from pulling up the weeds, there wasn't much left to do at the moment. He was heading back to her when she asked if he wanted to go to the carnival. He was caught off guard for a moment. No one had asked him if he'd wanted to go to the carnival since he was a kid and he'd tagged along with a group of friends. He'd been used to doing most things alone since he graduated college.

"S-sure!" He just hoped he wouldn't be too awkward going out with her. That thought made him freeze up a little once more. Going out? With a woman? No, no, he told himself. It was just as friends, right? Well, he wouldn't assume otherwise. He'd only been on a handful of dates in college, and none since then, and all the ones in college hadn't gone anywhere. He'd honestly been a bit relieved of it. While he felt lonely at points, he'd just wanted to focus on his studies, and he was fine with just being a good friend.

Now that he'd calmed himself down, he could talk once more. "I th-think it'd be fun! I h-haven't gone in a while." He paused and drew in a deep breath, steadying himself. "Yeah, it'll be fun! I'm actually pretty much finished unless you wanted to work on pulling up some weeds?"
PMWebsite
^
Tanuki
 Posted: Yesterday at 03:36 pm

Cyrus had a lot of good ideas, and that was good, Eileen liked that, considering that she had no idea where to start. And she did love black berries, so the idea of being able to pick them, even if blind without getting pricked was a nice sounding idea. “Taste is something I didn’t think I’d be able to add, but it would be great if we could!” She said cheerfully. “I might be able to bake you a pie too, if you’d like! Once this all happens and they grow in, of course.” She added sheepishly.

He said he didn’t need the tools and she nodded. She waited as it seemed that he was almost done anyway. Maybe he hadn’t needed it in the first place, and she shouldn’t have asked. But she decided she wouldn’t dwell on that now.

“City folk are much different, yes. I think they just want things done a lot faster than we can do em.” She was happy when Cyrus mentioned her customers in Ioana. “Oh yes, everyone here is wonderful. A lot of the old ladies come in often and request custom jewelry.” She responded.

She was nervous when she had asked about going to the Carnival. But Cyrus answered easily, if not a little shyly. She looked up at him, giving him a reassuring smile. “I think so too!” She was happy he had accepted. But this wasn’t a date, right?

Right?

A Friend Date.

For Friends.

Very good, Eileen.

“Oh, we can do that later, that’s no problem! The bathroom is just off the kitchen if you want to wash your hands, I uh...I just need to put Teaco away.” She said, pointing to the purple hamster ball that rolled past the doorway.

strawberry
PM
^
strawberry
 Posted: Yesterday at 07:07 pm

crab honeybutt

user posted image

Cyrus was glad she didn't shoot down the idea. In fact, it seemed as though she was eager to embrace it. Even if he wasn't out hunting down rare specimens of plants in some remote corner of a rain forest somewhere, he always felt good when he could help a customer create the garden they wanted. "If you like mint, we could add a pot or two as well for taste. I've heard blackberries and mint are a good combination in lemonade," he replied.

He grinned when she said she could bake him a pie once her garden got going. It wouldn't have been the first time he'd gotten food that had been grown from plants he'd sold, but it always pleased him to know what his customers were taking good care of the plants and that they kept him in mind when doing so. "That'd be mighty nice of you. I can never say no to a good pie."

He laughed a little when she said that city folk wanted things done fast. That was almost an understatement. "I've had some try to buy fertilizer from me, thinking the good country air out here somehow makes magic fertilizer that'll make their plants grow in just a couple days. I usually just try to redirect them to fast growing plants. It seems all that convenience leads to a lack of patience." He shrugged, hoping that if he were to ever live in a big city again, he'd be able to remember his roots.

Cyrus pressed his hands to his side after he noticed them shaking a little when he'd gotten nervous after she asked him to go to the carnival. He hated that he couldn't just take things in stride and instead had to get a little anxious over everything. But the moment passed and he could breathe a little easier. "All righty. If you don't mind, I'll leave the samples here and just pick them up on the way home so they won't get damaged." He looked toward where she was pointing, noticing the little hedgehog rolling around happily. Cyrus gave a slight smile and stepped inside, heading toward the bathroom to clean up a little.
PMWebsite
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
New Poll

Our Affiliates
Skin coded by Ethereal for exclusive use on Summers Past
We are a Harvest Moon RP not affiliated with Harvest Moon, Story of Seasons, or Bokujō Monogatari - these series belong to their respective owners.