New Poll

Absence Makes The Heart Grow Fonder, Evelyn | Jaime
Hera
 Posted: Mar 11 2018, 11:26 PM

Walking the line between discontent and disaster

GROUP: Purple Leaf

Awards: 10

Rep: 4 pts

Jaime had been in a panic all morning, tossing clothes and possessions around in what had seemed this morning like a futile attempt to deep clean his apartment. A letter had arrived that morning, no doubt delayed by a very, very long time in the international post, letting him know that Evelyn would be back, and that she wanted to see him.

At first, he had been over the moon. Evie was one of his best friends, and he wouldn't lie to himself by denying that he was still harboring a huge crush on her from the time he spent living with her. They had been exchanging letters the whole time she had been away, but it wasn't the same as having her here with him. There was nothing in the world he wanted more than to see her again.

Except, maybe, to impress her.

Which was when he looked around at his apartment in horror and realized that impressed was the last thing she would be if she saw the mess of take out containers, dirty clothes, and various collector's items and memorabilia scattered around the loft. He had immediately gone into cleaning mode, shoving his laundry in bags to be taken to the laundr-o-mat and his trash in bags to be taken out. Toys were straightened up, posters hung that had been neglected since the move, the carpet washed and vaccumed, the floors mopped and swept.

And now, finally, after hours of prep work, Jaime was putting away the last of his clean clothes. He had just gotten back from the laundr-o-mat, having had to haul his clothes the whole 5 blocks strapped like a mini mountain to the back of his bike. As the last pair of pants was hung on the rack he used as a closet, he turned to survey the room. He hadn't seen the place this clean since he'd moved in, honestly. It was strange, being able to see the whole floor. Suddenly he realized why he'd tried so hard to fill the space. It was just too big, too wide and open. Clean like this, it felt cold and lonely.

As the lonely ache started to settle in his chest, a knock came at the door that chased it away like it had never been there. Checking his hair in the mirror and his breath in his cupped palm, he hurried to the door, practically tearing it open with a grin as wide as his face. "Evelyn! I'm so happy you're here! Come in!" He greeted, shoving away the urge to sweep her up in a giant bear hug that lifted her up off the ground.
PM
^
Tanuki
 Posted: Mar 12 2018, 05:26 PM

Sneaky Trash Panda at your service

GROUP: Moderator

Awards: 36

Rep: 25 pts

user posted image
Date||Outfit|Afternoon|Sunny| Hera|#e2b176

❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣❣

They had been gone for quite some time. Evelyn had to admit it had left them in a bit of a predicament with the shop. They had been trying to pay what they could, but they couldn't say no when her mother's knowledge of natural medicines had been called upon in a whole different country. Europe was quite different from the United States, different rules and a different land, Evelyn had felt quite out of place.

But the one thing that had grounded her was writing letters to her friends in Ioana. Andy and Hayden, she had written a few letters to each of them, but no one more than a particular friend, and that was Jaime. Jamie had been a little confusing to her, before she had left. The way her heart had fluttered whenever he said her name had been something confusing and a bit scary for her as well. But with time away she had had a chance to think about things, and she had come to the conclusion that maybe the only person who had been making it feel scary was her.

"I'll be back soon mom!" She promised as she made her way out of the shop that they had spent the morning dusting, and cleaning the cobwebs out of. She was headed over to Jaime's new place, the one he had gotten when she informed him that she would be leaving for an indefinite amount of time due to the nature of the trip. But she was glad to be back walking the familiar streets of Ioana. Soon her mother would pick up their Donkey and Lion from the nice farmer they had been left with as well.

So, he lived on the same street as Hayden did, then? Evelyn hummed softly to herself as she made her way down the street, double checking the address before knocking. And it wasn't long before Jaime showed up at the front door. She was tanner than when she had left, but her soft features remained as they had been when she left. "Jaime!" She said cheerfully, clearly satisfied to see him in person, a light pink dusting her face as she got a good look at him. "I'm sorry I couldn't make it like I had promised at the start of spring, there were some complications with our flight and we got very delayed." She said as she took his invitation to step inside. "O-Oh wow! This is a nice place, I'm so glad you were able to find a place! And I...I'm really sorry for displacing you like that, we weren't expecting it." She said, soft gaze averting itself.

PM
^
Hera
 Posted: Mar 19 2018, 05:42 PM

It was cute that she thought he was upset that she had been delayed when really he was just happy she was here at all. He thanked his lucky stars that he had found the extra stool for the island in the kitchenette under a pile of his dirty clothes as he pulled it out and motioned for her to sit while he began rummaging around in his refrigerator for something for them to drink. "Don't worry about it, Evie! I understand. When you have a whole ocean to cross, weather's kind of a big factor." He said, thinking back to all of the books he had read about flight and weather patterns.

"Nah, it was about time I got out of your hair, anyway. And I know how important your mother's work is. If she was needed, she was needed." He assured her with his trademark easy smile, all white Hollywood teeth and boy-next-door charm. "I needed the push to get my own place, you know? And now, I have somewhere to invite you to to show off how mature and responsible I am. I even learned how to cook! .....Sorta." He laughed sheepishly. "Okay, I can make burgers and mac and cheese. But to be fair, that is actual food."

He had been trying really hard to learn how to cook for himself, but it seemed like everything he tried except for those two things and sometimes, sometimes bacon and eggs, always turned out not just right. He'd lost count of the times he'd overcooked or undercooked spaghetti, and he was sure that he was two seconds away from burning water one time. But he'd also come a long way from where he began. And he had Evelyn and her allowing him to watch her while she cooked to partially thank for that.

"Soooo, tell me all about it." He said, finally locating some of the tea bags her mother had left him and throwing the kettle on. "Did you have fun? What was it like? Where did you guys go?" He asked, wishing he had run to the store between loads of laundry so he would have more to offer her than slightly old tea or tap water. He was already at max deception tricking her into believing he kept his place clean.
PM
^
Tanuki
 Posted: Mar 20 2018, 06:09 PM

user posted image
Date||Outfit|Afternoon|Sunny| Hera |#e2b176

She thought about the flight for a moment. A little turbulent, but otherwise it was pleasant. Her mom had slept most of the time and Evelyn had been reading a book that had been suggested to her. She glanced up when Jaime mentioned it, and nodded softly. ”I-I know. I just always dislike it when I tell someone something and t-then well...” she swallowed her breath, smiling at Jaime nonetheless. ”But I’m really glad you understand. I’m here now! And I guess that’s what really matters.”

She was so glad that Jaime had gotten a place for himself, especially on such short notice. It had been a sudden request bestowed upon her mother, and she hadn’t wanted to make her go alone. Of course being in a different country gave her a lot of time to think about things going on at home, and particularly things with Jaime.

It wasn’t as scary as she once thought.

He assured her things were fine, as he always did, and she was glad he had seen it as an opportunity rather than a disadvantage. ”Well you can color me impressed,” she said softly as she took another look around. ”I’m so happy it didn’t, well...it didn’t take you a long time to find somewhere to live.” She knew she would have been sad to come home to find out Jaime had been forced to move out of town.

When he revealed he (sort of) knew how to cook, she giggled. ”Hey, burgers and mac and cheese can be hard to get just right you know.” She assured him gently, encouragingly. ”A-and now that I’m back well...maybe I can teach you how to make more things.” She added softly, possibly as shyly as he’d remember her to be.

She watched him as he moved about the kitchen, leaning on her heels as she watched him work, tea bags she recognized from her mother’s collection. Her mother had only met him a few times, but liked him enough to leave him some teas while they were away. When he asked about it she smiled. ”Oh it was wonderful, Jaime. We were working most of the time, thats what we were there for. But it was a small little village at the base of the Austrian mountains! They...had a fragile illness, heavy medicine wasn’t going to cut it, and well...we had to work a lot but, hiking through those mountains was like nothing else.” She assured him softly.

Though her smile faded after a moment and she sighed. ”But as lovely and amazing as it was, I couldn’t help missing home. Every letter you sent me helped me feel more at home, even though I wasn’t.” She blushed a light shade of red. ”I kept thinking that I...would have liked it if you were there too.” She admitted, not meeting his gaze. ”B-but I’m glad to be home now!”

PM
^
Hera
 Posted: Mar 21 2018, 06:26 AM

"Yeah, the owners don't want to sell the house for whatever reason, but they need help covering the cost of keeping it. So I live up here, they use the downstairs for storage, and everyone wins! I honestly think they were just as relived to find someone on short notice. It really worked out for the best." He assured her. He hated to think that even a second of her trip had been discolored worrying over him. "If there's one thing I'm good at, it's rolling with the punches." He grinned.

His grin softened to a smile. She was always so supportive and encouraging and helpful. He liked that about her most, how kind she was. Not nice, which just meant you didn't say things you should when other people didn't want you to. She was truly kind, like a fairy tale princess come to life. Like if she tried hard enough, she could get forest creatures to come to her. "I'd really like that. You're a great teacher." He said, averting his gaze as he blushed.

She did look like she'd spent a lot of time outdoors communing with nature recently. Her skin wasn't as pale, and and he could see the sun highlights in her hair. He could almost imagine her, hair blowing in the wind like tendrils of fire, surrounded by towering snow-capped mountains and lush, flower-filled valleys. She must have looked a sight. He only wished that he could have been there to see it. "It sounds beautiful."

It seemed like great minds thought alike, and he could feel his cheeks and ears burning. For a moment he was silent, the gears in his mind still working through that statement, as innocently as it was almost assuredly meant. Thankfully, he was saved from putting his foot in his mouth be the sudden whistle of the kettle, and he busied himself with setting up the tea to steep while he thought. With his back still turned so she couldn't see the red on his cheeks (and hopefully couldn't hear the thud of his heart) he replied, "Oh yeah, me too! We would have had a blast together." before taking a moment to calm himself before turning back around with the tea, handing one off to Evelyn. "I'm really glad you're home, too." He said, absolute sincerity in his voice. "Ioana, that is." He added quickly.

Goddess help him, it was already almost too much just having her here again after all this time. He couldn't take her saying things like that, too. She was just too sweet, and too kind, and he was too damned infatuated with her for her to just casually say things like that. He needed to man up and say something. Anything would be better than sticking himself in this cowardly limbo. But again, she was too sweet and too kind and he didn't want to scare her or anything. Damned if he did, damned if he didn't. Or that's how it felt, at least.
PM
^
Tanuki
 Posted: Mar 22 2018, 06:11 PM

user posted image
Spring 12th Y3 (Afternoon)||Outfit|Afternoon|Sunny| Hera |#e2b176

He explained that the owners of the house didn't want to sell the house, but needed the rent to keep it. Whatever reason was beyond her, but she decided that it didn't really matter anyway, because it meant that Jaime could stay here in the Valley, and he wouldn't need to seek out any housing in the city instead. Evelyn...well, she didn't like the city, for various reasons, but the memories associated with it being the worst of them. "Well that was lucky! I guess this house must have been in their family for a long time or something, a lot of the people around here are very sentimental." she explained, although she wasn't really sure if that was really correct or not. She did wish she were better at rolling with the punches, too.

When he said she was a good teacher, she felt a flush to her face again. "O-Oh, well I... I don't mind, really!" She insisted resting her hands in her lap. "I really love to cook, and if I can teach you to make more things, your diet will be more varied, and it...well it'll be good to know you're looking after your meals." She assured him with a soft smile. Cooking was something she loved to do, so her words were truthful. That and she sort of worried about Jamie eating take out and mac and cheese all the time, that wasn't exactly too healthy.

She hoped she hadn't said too much when she mentioned that she wished he had been there with him too. She was already thinking of ways to change the subject, with the way he was silent for a moment, and she reached up to cover the lower half of her face to hide the tinge of red to her face. She was about to try and shift subject when he answered. There was a relief that coursed through her body and she let out a breath she didn't realize she was holding. "I think it would have been fun too."

Though the trip hadn't been all fun either. There were some breath taking views and stunning sights, but in the end, they had been there because there were many who were sick, and it was hard to watch the weak struggle to recover. He said he was glad she was home, and she nodded. "Jaime?" she asked, calling his name shyly. "W-Would it be alright if...well...if I asked you to hug me?" She said, swallowing her breath and quickly averting her gaze. "Y-You don't have to...B-But I.."

Itris could she ask for one thing without that stammer?

PM
^
Hera
 Posted: Mar 22 2018, 07:09 PM

Jaime shrugged, not knowing for sure what the deal was with the house. All he knew was that everyone came out on top, and that's what mattered in the end. "You're probably right. I can't imagine why else they would just shove a bunch of crap in there, board it up, and move away. I'd at least rent out the rest of the house." He said, wondering why they had chosen not to rent out the downstairs. Probably because they needed it for cheap storage.

It was sweet, that she was concerned over his eating habits. She was probably right to. He spent more of his paycheck than was probably healthy or prudent eating out at the restaurants here in Ioana. A guy got tired of burgers and mac and cheese every meal, after all. "Sounds like a plan. Just come on over any time. Well, any time I'm not at work, of course." He said, chuckling. Another thing that didn't help his diet, the fact that he was usually gone for at least one meal. Though there was a kitchen at the firehouse (assuming based on knowledge of firehouse layouts), so maybe learning to use it wasn't such a bad idea. All of the guys could use a good meal instead of cheap take out.

As one awkward moment passed, another struck. He almost dropped his cup when Evelyn asked him to give her a hug, and it was only sheer force of will that kept him from doing a spittake. A furious blush erupted on his face as he carefully set his cup down on the counter and gave her a nervous smile, his heart leaping into his throat. "Of course! All you gotta do is ask." He said, trying to not let on to how nervous he was as he wrapped her up in a warm hug, squeezing her fondly to his chest. "I really am glad you're back." He said softly while he had her in his arms. "I missed you."
PM
^
Tanuki
 Posted: Mar 22 2018, 07:58 PM

user posted image
Spring 12th Y3 (Afternoon)||Outfit|Afternoon|Sunny| Hera |#e2b176

She had been so nervous when she had asked him for a hug that she hadn't really been looking up to gauge his reaction. Instead she had been keeping a steady gaze on the floor. She heard the cup touch the counter, but she still didn't look up, not until he said something. And when he wrapped his arms around her, she buried her face into his shoulder. He was warm, and she let herself return the hug. It was easy not to think about the sad thoughts when he hugged her like this.

"I-I missed you, too." she said shyly after a heartbeat or so. She had never been good at that sort of thing, and she still wasn't. But Jaime had been patient with her, always let her express what she wanted to say, what she wanted, and that was why it was so easy for her to ask for this. Well, at least easier than it normally was. She finally reluctantly pulled away after a few more moments. "Honestly, I missed just sitting in the shop making new medicines." She said softly, rubbing the back of her sheepishly.

She missed a lot of things, but Jaime the most. She had written Andy, her friend, letters as well, and she would visit him later, but now she enjoyed her time with Jaime. She looked around, glancing back at Jaime. "Are you hungry?" She asked gently, "I have to pick up Lion today, but it's not until later, and if you don't mind I'd like to make you something...I-If you want! Of course." She smiled softly, and honestly, she missed cooking for him so she hoped he would be.

PM
^
Hera
 Posted: Apr 3 2018, 05:41 PM

Evelyn was soft, and warm, and it felt good to have her in his arms, right. And when the hug ended, it ended far too soon. But he was just thankful that he'd gotten the opportunity. He knew how shy she could be, especially about being touched. He was grateful that she was so comfortable around him. He would just have to continue to be patient with her and hope for the best. "Really? I would have thought you'd get enough of herbs and poultices up in the Alps to last you a lifetime." He said, chuckling lightly and picking his cup back up.

"You know I'm not going to say no to your cooking, Evie. You didn't even have to ask." He said, grinning. Luckily, the one thing he actually did remember to do without an outside force acting upon him was buy food. And he'd even bought stuff that could be cooked, rather than just microwavable and pre-made crap he could shove in his face 5 minutes before he had to be at work. If he wasn't, frankly, so vain, he would have gotten fat by now with all of the processed, fatty crud he'd been putting in his body since he was a teenager.
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
New Poll

Our Affiliates
Skin coded by Ethereal for exclusive use on Summers Past
We are a Harvest Moon RP not affiliated with Harvest Moon, Story of Seasons, or Bokujō Monogatari - these series belong to their respective owners.